Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Aisle seat legroom

fp3a
Explorer C

I’m A-List Preferred (for years) and typically sit aisle seat, near the front. I am on the tall / long-legged side, so when I place my carry-on into the small, aisle seat leg space, then the only space available to place my foot is on the other side of the metal seat support leg, i.e. taking up approximately 4 inches of the extra large middle legroom / carry-on space. 
 (Does this description make sense? Hope so… I’ll take a picture next time & add it here.)

Anyhow, this morning I experienced a complaint that I’ve never had before (& typically is just amicably “worked out” between passengers. But today, the middle seat passenger asked me to move my foot for on her storage / leg space and also complained to the flight attendant that I was taking up her carry-on / leg space.

I countered that my foot is still within the air space of the width of my aisle seat…and therefore I have the right to keep it there because my foot never crosses that “invisible line” into the middle seat space.

The flight attendant just asked the middle seat occupant if she wanted to move and did not address the actual issue. 

Question: what is the general rule for under seat legroom for the aisle seat?
  Does the aisle seat passenger have a “right”, to place a foot in the over-sized middle space?

Or does the middle seat passenger have the sole right to occupy the entirety of the over-sized middle seat legroom space?

And I am only talking about a person’s foot, not a carry-on item.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Aisle seat legroom

dfwskier
Aviator A

My view is that you are entitled to use the space in front of you, but not to the sides of you. I guess if I were a middle seat passenger and your foot ended up in front of me, that I might complain.

If you want to use middle seat floor space, maybe you should just take a middle seat.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I don't believe there's rule, but... 

I would not describe the middle seat underseat space as "oversized", but would say, in my opinion, that space belongs to the occupant of the middle seat, not the aisle seat occupant. The underseat floor space for the aisle seat is undersized and I typically avoid sitting in an aisle when carrying on since my back pack must then sit under the seat. (I take a window in these cases.)

If I check my bag, then my backpack is my only carry on item and it goes in the overhead and I'll possibly choose an aisle seat in this case.

I would never presume to sprawl out and put my foot in the middle seat's space, but that's just me.

It's just my opinion, but the middle seat stinks anyway so give the unfortunate soul who has to sit there the extra space.

Safe travels

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

20230419_075051.jpg

My understanding has long been that the seat "legs" that divide the three sections are the designated "borderlines" with aisle seat having the most narrow area marked by the bar loop beneath the armrest that "borders" this area with the center aisleway.

In this pic, I've taken a window seat near the front (I think it was the 5th row). Should I have a middle seat neighbor, my feet and bag need to stay where they are given that this space is for their personal or small carryon bag. That's their space. It doesn't hurt to politely ask if you can use any leftover space in this area for legroom but this space does belong to the person seated there and their decision of whether or not it can be shared to another passenger stands. 

Note that the overall width beneath all three seats is a bit smaller toward the front of the plane too as the cabin as a whole is narrower (for all fleets: 737-700, 800, MAX8). If you're looking for some extra inches under the aisle seat, go for a seat in the center or the back of the plane. Also don't forget that if you're flight is not full and there's extra space in the overhead bins, you should be able to stow your personal item in there too which should provide for some extra legroom.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

My own practice has always been not to put my foot across the divider, I squeeze it in underneath my item. 

I do most often take the aisle even though the space is smaller. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

NEW INFO: so I’m here in a middle seat now and I see that the window seat support is also well into the middle seats zone, then the inner support is well into the aisle seat’s zone.

So I don’t think the middle is generous, it’s the window that is generous. 

Aisle obviously skimpy as everyone has noted. 

So I’d say it’s not available unless the window seat gave up some room first. 

This is row 3, I’ll investigate next flight if it’s different proportions further back.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

DancingDavidE said: "so I’m here in a middle seat now..."

Why, DancingDavidE, why???  I'm sad for you...😥

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Aisle all the way...

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

DancingDavidE said: "so I’m here in a middle seat now..."

Why, DancingDavidE, why???  I'm sad for you...😥

No worries!

I had A16 even a little better position than usual, but pre-boarded with my mom and I had her take the window while I took the middle. Full flight so not much chance of sitting aisle/window that close to the front.