Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Exit row hoarders

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@ bulkheadbill   I'm not going to oppose that you've seen seat saving on the Exit row seats.  However, I've not, ever.  I don't fly as much as you, only 25 -30 flights a year, but haven't seen any exit row seat hoarding.  I won't tat for tat if there is or isn't a "written" policy, but it is known that a person is allowed to sit in any open seat, (occupied with a coat, bag, backpack, or whatever). thus the often announced open seating policy.  Have I sat in the exit row area, on occasion, but since I'm a A list, I normally stop at the first free entire row that I come to, even thought exit rows are open.  Is there a reason that you have to sit the far back.  Other than the 1 seat on both sides, there really isn't a significant difference in leg room, IMO.  Do I see people save seats by placing something on a seat, YES.  Have I put something on a seat to save it for someone, YES.  Here is what I've seen 100% of the time when someone has a reserved seat item (to myself included) a passenger asks, is someone sitting there?  The normal reply is that they are indeed hoping to keep it open for someone.  The passenger nods in agreement and move on.  I've never seen anyone demand they let them sit in that seat, although legal, or have any harsh words or confrontation.  To put a number to this, I'm going to say I've seen or been asked this question at least 100 times.  Yes, 100 times, with no confrontation.  When it involves me, I for one, sit in the middle seat, where most people will just go on by not to have to sit by someone.  When someone does ask if anyone is sitting in the window seat, (which has my bag/coat/whatever) in it, I always say, my wife/friend/relative is coming, but I always offer the isle seat.  99% of the time they politely say that's ok, and move on.  I've never been hassled.  I even have a back up plan if someone ever does want to force the issue, I will just tell them, yes, I'm moving over to the window seat.  I'm going to assume they won't take the middle seat, and if they chose to take the isle, the middle is still open for my wife.  Now, that's actually been eliminated as of recent policy chance by SWA that gives my wife the next boarding number as my companion pass...  JUST ANOTHER perk by SWA that keeps me flying with them.  Thanks for enduring this lengthy post.  

Re: Exit row hoarders

floridaguy
Aviator C

You bring up an interesting point.  You sit in the middle, and if someone wants the seat, you move to the aisle or window and say go for it!

Interesting.  I guess you can do that because you are choosing any open seat.  It is kinda like preboarding.  You are required to "self declare" as a person in need, but you must do this on each flight.  That says that the declaration expires at some point after you make the declaration.

So, I guess you can "self declare" as a person in need, get your seat, then withdraw your declaration.  Interesting.