Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Masks Are Back? SW just emailed me for my upcoming October 23' flight

mj2000
Explorer C

Southwest just sent me a "Travel Alert" for my October 23' flight. The notification said "The Federal law requires each person to wear masks at all times in the airport and throughout the flight...."

Confused....was Southwest notified by the Govt or TSA of a new law?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Masks Are Back? SW just emailed me for my upcoming October 23' flight

jksobonya
Aviator A

Seems like old verbiage. The federal mandate was dropped in April 2022. Masks are "encouraged" these days but not required. Some private institutions have required them over the past month or so (like colleges in NY and CA) but those are exceptions. It's not likely that full "mandates" will ever come back - hopefully. 

https://www.transit.dot.gov/coronavirus 

https://www.newsweek.com/mask-mandate-update-cdc-speculation-1823750 

--Jessica

mj2000
Explorer C

Nope. I received the email yesterday. This is a screen shot of the notice.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 5.08.10 PM.pngFirst there has never been a "Law" regarding masking it was simply a "Mandate".  Whoever controls these auto generated emails better do some homework.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Is this from Southwest or Lugless? I do not recollect any Southwest sponsored promotions with Lugless.com, but I could be wrong

Safe Travels

jksobonya
Aviator A

@mj2000 wrote:

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 5.08.10 PM.pngFirst there has never been a "Law" regarding masking it was simply a "Mandate".  Whoever controls these auto generated emails better do some homework.

This email looks strange. First, the links point to t.iluvsouthwest.com, which is possibly spam (I loaded the URL and it just has random ads for Southwest, and verbiage that "the domain is available"), and I'm not sure what LugLess is. Plus, look at how indented the "Travel Notice" header is.

This isn't an official email from Southwest. It's fake/possibly spam. 

--Jessica

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@mj2000 wrote:

I suspect this email is a phishing scam attempt. This does not look like a genuine Southwest email. I would forward this message with the message headers intact to Southwest so it can be further investigated:

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

bec102896
Aviator A

My mom is on a flight right now no masks I have 13 flights scheduled between now and the end of October I received no such email. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Who was that masked man?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Exactly WHO sent this to you. What is the e-mail address. 

T LUV ain't a southwest e-mail address. 

Another point why would they be talking about shipping skis and snow boards -- in early September?

Interested parties want to know..

It is fake