Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Not Allowed to use Restroom

Krgaffney
Explorer C

Good morning, my husband and I were on Flight 1713, Friday, July 7th out of Puerto Rico to Orlando, and then on to Chicago. I have wheel chair services, so we were in about the 5th or 6th row. During the flight, the seatbelt sign was on, quite a bit, as to a lot of turbulence. There were a couple times I wanted to get up to use the restroom, but it was occupied. I decided I would wait until we parked, as to, I was staying on the flight, onward to Chicago. Once we parked, people were in the aisle, gathering their items, and ready to exit the plane. However, something was going on and the flight attendant, in question, Position A, was not allowed to open the door. We were asked for patience and thanked. I stood up with the crowd, and as they exited the plane, I went in the bathroom, directly next to the cockpit. Once I was done, I stood there until flow of traffic had stopped, while customers were gathering their items. Now back at my trow, my husband needed to go. He brushed passed me to the restroom. The flight attendant, in position A, stood there and blocked his path to the restroom. I am sitting there wondering why he's not going in. As people were walking past them, an opening became available and I yelled down, why aren't you going to the bathroom. He's diabetic, sugar was high, and he needed to go!! He said, she won't allow me. WHAT??? I, then yelled to her, why won't you allow my husband to use the restroom? She wouldn't respond. He was, literally, about to wet his pants. Once everyone that wanted to exit was off the plane, she came to speak with me, and was almost in a whisper. Then she said something about the FCC or FAA. I don't recall the acronym used, but she basically,
informed me, that they would, basically, prefer a person to urinate or deficate on themselves than to allow a person to go in the restroom while customers are exiting the plane. I became very upset at her response. If that's the rule, it should be changed! I was fussing, and security was called. All of a sudden, she felt threatened. Seriously, you're the one that wouldn't allow my husband to use the bathroom. We were asked to move a few rows back, out of her section, because now she's scared. Really? That was only said, so she could "cover her behind" I would like something to be done with this flight attendant & this rule. It was morally wrong & unprofessional, for this flight attendant not to allow a customer to use the facility, and make him stand there, uncomfortable Kim

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Not Allowed to use Restroom

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Krgaffney wrote:

Good morning, my husband and I were on Flight 1713, Friday, July 7th out of Puerto Rico to Orlando, and then on to Chicago. I have wheel chair services, so we were in about the 5th or 6th row. During the flight, the seatbelt sign was on, quite a bit, as to a lot of turbulence. There were a couple times I wanted to get up to use the restroom, but it was occupied. I decided I would wait until we parked, as to, I was staying on the flight, onward to Chicago. Once we parked, people were in the aisle, gathering their items, and ready to exit the plane. However, something was going on and the flight attendant, in question, Position A, was not allowed to open the door. We were asked for patience and thanked. I stood up with the crowd, and as they exited the plane, I went in the bathroom, directly next to the cockpit. Once I was done, I stood there until flow of traffic had stopped, while customers were gathering their items. Now back at my trow, my husband needed to go. He brushed passed me to the restroom. The flight attendant, in position A, stood there and blocked his path to the restroom. I am sitting there wondering why he's not going in. As people were walking past them, an opening became available and I yelled down, why aren't you going to the bathroom. He's diabetic, sugar was high, and he needed to go!! He said, she won't allow me. WHAT??? I, then yelled to her, why won't you allow my husband to use the restroom? She wouldn't respond. He was, literally, about to wet his pants. Once everyone that wanted to exit was off the plane, she came to speak with me, and was almost in a whisper. Then she said something about the FCC or FAA. I don't recall the acronym used, but she basically,
informed me, that they would, basically, prefer a person to urinate or deficate on themselves than to allow a person to go in the restroom while customers are exiting the plane. I became very upset at her response. If that's the rule, it should be changed! I was fussing, and security was called. All of a sudden, she felt threatened. Seriously, you're the one that wouldn't allow my husband to use the bathroom. We were asked to move a few rows back, out of her section, because now she's scared. Really? That was only said, so she could "cover her behind" I would like something to be done with this flight attendant & this rule. It was morally wrong & unprofessional, for this flight attendant not to allow a customer to use the facility, and make him stand there, uncomfortable Kim

Hello Kim-

As this forum is mainly customer-to-customer, I would forward your complaint regarding access to the lavatory direct to Southwest Customer Relations so they can handle your issue. 

A few notes to help you on your future flights with Southwest or any other carrier:

There are some brief periods where the lavatory may not be "open" to passengers which FA's need to enforce. On through-flights for example, FA's need to conduct an accurate passenger head count once the local passengers have deplaned; all through-passengers to remain seated in their original seats. I believe this is an FAA rule (following the count, they are free to use the toilets and have first choice at taking a better seat). 

Another period is during taxi, take-off, and final decent/landing (the points of the flight when the seatbacks and traytables need to be upright and locked, larger electronics stowed): FA's typically ask passengers to remain seated with seatbelts fastened and enforce. I've seen passengers get up for various reasons during these periods and the FA's will immediately announce on the intercom to remain seated.

I've noticed one unwritten rule about the Seatbelt light on my flights. If it's on and the plane is above the 10,000' mark with no turbulence (the FA's are typically servicing the cabin at this point), passengers will be asked to remain seated but will typically be allowed to get up to use the lavatory and return to their seat. Worst case scenario, push the FA call button and ask the FA.

If the FA's are seated for turbulence, best to remain seated too. Note that the "no forming a line" rule applies to the front restroom whenever it's in use. The plane also has a lavatory in the back in the plane too if your party can access those. If somebody needs to "go", I would try to do it no later than the start of the initial descent after the cruising phase (approx. 10 minutes prior to the final decent/landing phase or 20 minutes prior to landing).

Again, when in doubt, I would push the FA call button but about 10 minutes prior to the final descent/landing phase.

Hope this helps.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I’m a fan of making a visit 30 to 45 minutes prior to the scheduled landing. That usually catches most approaches for timing - Chicago or NYC towards the longer range, some of the smaller airports you can go up to 20 minutes before. 

The main clue is you hear the engines back off and slight change to attitude roughly in the 30 minutes out time frame - that’s the five minute warning for the seatbelt light to come on. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Krgaffney
Explorer C

Thank-you, I did and they did!

Krgaffney
Explorer C

It has helped, I appreciate the information.  It was truly an emergency,; otherwise, we always remain seated. Thank-you

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

My initial thought would be, based on what I have witnessed, is that maybe she was keeping the front lavatory clear because the agent who comes on to restock supplied is also the one who should clean up, mop and restock the lavatory.  

Maybe she was trying to keep it clear because that agent was about to or in the process of servicing the lavatory.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@YeahNoMaybe wrote:

My initial thought would be, based on what I have witnessed, is that maybe she was keeping the front lavatory clear because the agent who comes on to restock supplied is also the one who should clean up, mop and restock the lavatory.  

Maybe she was trying to keep it clear because that agent was about to or in the process of servicing the lavatory.  

People use the rear one all the time at the gate, so I'm also interested if this was a timing issue with using the front lavatory either with servicing, pilots, or getting a count of through passengers.

For a number of reasons if a passenger had a need to sit near the lavatory, I'd go for the back one for this reason, also you can form a line, the pilots aren't ever using it, etc. It is more discrete if you get up and the seat-belt light is on.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Krgaffney
Explorer C

No, we were in the 6 or 7th row. There were people, all in the aisle, behind us, gathering there things. It was easier to go to front bathroom. He would have never made it to the back of that plane.

Krgaffney
Explorer C

No, not at all. She was just throwing her weight and exercising authority! She was just being a "B"!!

floridaguy
Aviator C

Contact the CEO and insist on compensation.  That's the only way to make a point with a publicly traded organization.