Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Priority Boarding still means One Seat Only

hmr9999
Explorer C

I'm not a fan of Southwest open seating and it seems to continue to create confusion and angst among travelers.  On a recent flight (and many others) priority boarders try to "block" the center seat by sprawling themselves or their carry-on across the center seats.  Southwest should make it clear to all travelers, regardless of boarding status, that they get one seat and cannot block center seats with their personal belongings or by laying across two seats.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Priority Boarding still means One Seat Only

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hmmm, interesting ---

I fly SW an average of about 35 times a year and have done so for years, and I am not seeing that.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@dfwskier wrote:

Hmmm, interesting ---

I fly SW an average of about 35 times a year and have done so for years, and I am not seeing that.

Same here except for one flight that I took where the passenger occupying an Aisle seat near the front of the plane was a Customer-of-Size passenger who also reserved a second seat and needed to occupy a portion of the middle seat too. I was seated at the Window seat. Funny thing was that flight was full but it was just the two of us in that section. According to Southwest Policy, the Aisle passenger was entitled to use both seats.

@hmr9999 

Did the person you saw "sprawling themselves" also fit the definition of the Customer-of-Size Policy (i.e.: When they were seated, did their body exceed the total width of the aisle or window seat and go beyond the armrest 'line' into the middle seat)? If so, they may have rightly purchased the second seat or spoke to the CSA's ahead of time and is entitled to use the space. If that's the case, that center seat is by definition, taken.

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/extra-seat-policy

hmr9999
Explorer C

This was not a "Customer of size" nor had they purchased the extra seat.  The woman probably weighed about 120lbs and was about 5'5" tall.  So, no extra size at all.  Just being difficult and being vocal about it.  She literally stated that she was a priority customer and that I should be sitting the back of the plane since I boarded towards the end. That is actually not a policy.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@hmr9999 wrote:

This was not a "Customer of size" nor had they purchased the extra seat.  The woman probably weighed about 120lbs and was about 5'5" tall.  So, no extra size at all.  Just being difficult and being vocal about it.  She literally stated that she was a priority customer and that I should be sitting the back of the plane since I boarded towards the end. That is actually not a policy.

Ok...That appears to be a rare exception, especially by her response.

As mentioned, this is not normal. As a side note, any Window seat toward the front of the plane is my preference and whenever I find an open Window seat in a section but find that the Aisle (or both the Aisle and Middle) are already taken, I'll first ask if the window seat is available before claiming it. Of all the times I've asked, the other passengers say, "come on in!"

Had I encountered the lady in question upon approaching the seat, asked her the same question but she instead boasted over her A-List status and tried to tell me to go to the back of the plane, I would have simply moved further back to avoid an altercation and look for the next available open seat, but probably would have later discreetly advised a Flight Attendant of the incident because to your point, the passenger is entitled to one seat.

hmr9999
Explorer C

The person was not sprawling, she was actually laying down in a curled up position to block both the aisle and center seat.  Not sure why the flight attendants thought that was appropriate either.  It was quite obvious what this woman was trying to do.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Could you share your definition of "Priority" Boarding relative to Southwest? Thanks in advance

hmr9999
Explorer C

I'm not sure. That's what she kept saying but I think she's was referring to either being on the "A list" or having pre-boarding privileges.  But, I don't fly SW very often so I'm not fully versed on what SW calls priority boarding.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@hmr9999 wrote:

Southwest should make it clear to all travelers, regardless of boarding status, that they get one seat and cannot block center seats with their personal belongings or by laying across two seats.

I do hear this announcement on many of the busier flights. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.