Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Winter coat luggage?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Why no seasonal size limit? Methods to fold but not damage?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Winter coat luggage?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

Hello! 

Not sure what you're asking. I often roll my clothing and use packing cubes which allows me to conserve space and to travel carry-on only, even for extended trips like my June trip to PDX. This method also reduces wrinkles in my clothing.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

If my outerwear is that bulky I bring an empty suitcase to the airport and check it. 

Otherwise wait for the bins to fill, then put your coat on top of the bags that are in the bin. Don't put your coat in first as it will get dirty and mashed up. 

Also put it under the seat if you didn't have something else to put under the seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I leave my winter coat in the car. Walking from the parking garage only takes a couple of minutes and I can put up with the cold for the sake of not having to lug a coat around.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@StAugustine wrote:

I leave my winter coat in the car. Walking from the parking garage only takes a couple of minutes and I can put up with the cold for the sake of not having to lug a coat around.

People have certainly seen me waiting in the vestibule at Economy Parking garage at MDW without any coat since I was headed somewhere warm and wouldn't need it.

The main risk of this is for late flights back to MDW sometimes the buses have been off schedule and a long wait and long line, and you can't wait in the vestibule going in that direction or you'll never board while there's a long line. In that case one time I called an uber, went out to the median and yelled over towards the line "who wants a ride to the economy garage?" and actually had a pilot hop out of line to ride over with me. Glad to help him get back to his home earlier! 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.