Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

do the 700 series seats have more padding since less rows?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Re: do the 700 series seats have more padding since less rows?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The 700s have fewer rows because the plane isn't as long as the 800s.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Hello!

I really cannot find or feel a seat padding difference in between the 737-700 and 800/MAX8 fleets. 800/MAX8's do have a little bit of extra seat pitch and width but I generally have a comfortable flight on both the older and newer Southwest planes...Hard for me to compare the padding. However, I don't think the padding difference is due to the 737-700 planes having fewer rows.

Seat Specification Details:

https://www.southwest.com/help/on-the-plane/our-airplanes  

mandmore
Explorer C

I've flown on both 700 series and other planes, and yeah, I've noticed that the seats on the 700 series tend to have a bit more padding compared to planes with more rows. It does make for a more comfortable ride, especially on longer flights.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mandmore wrote:

I've flown on both 700 series and other planes, and yeah, I've noticed that the seats on the 700 series tend to have a bit more padding compared to planes with more rows. It does make for a more comfortable ride, especially on longer flights.

You are talking specifically about a Southwest 737-700?

Everything is out the window when you go across airlines, they can choose many factors on their seats. 

As @dfwskier pointed out a couple of times Southwest has their own standard and it applies across the fleet. So you might get a 737-700 that's hasn't been refurbished as recently as a newly delivered MAX, if you prefer that seat then definitely try to book -700's on your next trips.

But any -700 would have been refurbished at some point, there aren't any (or very few remaining) original leather seats out there in the fleet, and the airline is actually getting to its first round of recycling/upcycling process on the synthetic seat covers now from the replacement of the last leather seats.

Width can change throughout the airplane - if you had seats towards the very front or far rear they could be a little thinner than seats in the middle of the plane, that is also a variable.

Width and pitch however could vary among airlines if you mean any airline's -700 airplanes then it is their own design, and timing for refurbishments.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ali012
Explorer B

The padding on seats isn't necessarily determined by the number of rows in a series, like the 700 series. Instead, airlines often focus on the class of service and the specific aircraft configuration to decide the padding and comfort level of seats. However, some airlines might allocate more space or comfort amenities in premium cabins or certain rows within a series, which might indirectly impact the padding or overall comfort of seats. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest does not use different seats on different planes. Whatever goes on MAX8s goes on 737-700s and 737-800s when it comes to seat replacement time.

Likewise if 10 yers ago the "standard" seat was different, that standard seat would have gone on all planes at that time.

ali012
Explorer B

The seat padding in the 700 series tends to be more generous compared to higher-capacity models with additional rows. With fewer rows, there's often more space to allocate for seat comfort, allowing for slightly more padding in the 700 series seats. However, the exact design and specifications can vary between different airlines and their configurations, so it's recommended to check with the specific airline or aircraft manufacturer for precise details on seat padding in the 700 series.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ali012 wrote:

The seat padding in the 700 series tends to be more generous compared to higher-capacity models with additional rows. With fewer rows, there's often more space to allocate for seat comfort, allowing for slightly more padding in the 700 series seats. However, the exact design and specifications can vary between different airlines and their configurations, so it's recommended to check with the specific airline or aircraft manufacturer for precise details on seat padding in the 700 series.

Incorrect.

Instead of providing a gneric response, how about one that is Southwest specific. Here's mine (same as I said above):

Southwest does not put different seats on different planes. I buys one kind of seat. Newly bought seats (just one kind) might end up on Max8s or 737-700s or 737-800s.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

I thought they did but may be from more legrooon