Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

132 Points Short of A-List!

tnflyer7
Explorer C

Just checked I noticed I am 132 point shy of A-List 😞   I know, poor planning on my part, just did not realize I was going to be this close after the credit card promotion.

There are no flights available this short of notice for under $500 out of Nashville.

Is there any options available?   Tried calling customer service and they did not offer any help.

So bummed to be so close and miss out!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: 132 Points Short of A-List!

bec102896
Aviator A

You can go to Austin for $193 each way on December 30th 

tnflyer7
Explorer C

Well that's a better but still a bit steep for the budget, thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

You can go to Austin for $193 each way on December 30th 

$193 for the out bound with a ponts flight for the the return doesn't sound too painfu - considering a same day upgrade costs -- what $40-$50? 

Heck, I once did a weekend in London points flight to earn lifetme status with Continental -- which has translated 25 years later into lifetime 1K on United.

amandakotch
Explorer C

I am in the same situation!

Can you buy a ticket and then cancel the flight, which means I'd have credit on my account.  Would they still give me the points? Or do you actually have to fly to earn those points?

tnflyer7
Explorer C

Prety sure you don't get points until the actual flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@amandakotch wrote:

Can you buy a ticket and then cancel the flight, which means I'd have credit on my account.  Would they still give me the points? Or do you actually have to fly to earn those points?

You have to fly to get the points.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@amandakotch wrote:

You have to fly to get the points.

You would keep the 2x points for credit card spending on Southwest.com if you are using a Rapid Rewards Visa and canceled the flight into travel credit, but those points count towards companion pass but do not count towards tier qualification.

You don't earn the 6x to 12x points for flying until the itinerary is complete.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tnflyer7 wrote:

Just checked I noticed I am 132 point shy of A-List 😞   I know, poor planning on my part, just did not realize I was going to be this close after the credit card promotion.

There are no flights available this short of notice for under $500 out of Nashville.

Is there any options available?   Tried calling customer service and they did not offer any help.

So bummed to be so close and miss out!

If you only need one leg to get it done then buy a one way ticket, and then use points to save some cash on the way back. (And also have A-list for that one if it processes fast enough.)

I did this a few years back - I was close enough that a cheap WGA round trip wouldn't do it, but a BS one-way to MSP (from MDW) would work but I didn't want to spend BS fare on two legs if I didn't have to, so I did one-ways and used points for the return leg to avoid out of pocket expense.

There were actually several people on that same MDW-MSP set of flights making points runs. 😁

One guy had his child as companion, they came in on one flight while I was sitting there and he got right in line to board the same plane back to Chicago. Taking his kid for a joy ride points run, I thought that was great!.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.