Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2.5 days left of the year, 1 flight shy of A-List

sabrina17m
Explorer B

Hi All,

I have been A-List for several years now, and this year I am only 1 flight shy of the 25 flights required to qualify for A-List in 2024 (and only 12k points out of the 35k required; I definitely do not have an extra $22k laying around to spend before 12/31). I fully recognize and acknowledge it is my fault - I should have planned better and not used points for my first handful of flights this year. 

Nonetheless, I called Southwest 3 times to beg for flexibility or any other options generally. I spoke to 3 different representatives and each told me adamantly I have no choice but to either spend the $22k to earn points or to fly that last required flight. One representative suggested I book a hotel or a car, but another informed me neither of those will qualify. Another representative told me she has seen in the past Southwest offer a "challenge" to those who were close to A-List but did not qualify in the following year in order to qualify.

What's particularly interesting is that supposedly beginning 2024, only 20 flights are required to achieve A-List status.

My last flight for this year was Christmas Day earlier this week. I had planned to take a day trip to finish that final leg this week but unfortunately fell ill. Today, I looked into flights within the next 2 days and while I was seriously considering it, it is simply too costly to fly anywhere this weekend from my home airport. 

All that said, has anyone experienced anything similar? What did you end up doing? Has anyone experienced a "challenge" akin to what one of the representatives described?

In all honesty, I am just yearning for some comfort knowing that I will lose my A-List status that I have benefitted from tremendously over the past few years. And as I am writing this, I am realizing this may ultimately result in me finally moving on to another airline, as my friends and family have fervently encouraged me to do so the past few years.  *sigh* 

Thanks all, Happy New Year!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: 2.5 days left of the year, 1 flight shy of A-List

dfwskier
Aviator A

Happy New Year to you , too.

Butt in paid seat today or tomorrow is your only hope. 

Lemme understand this. You are being tempted to move to another airline next year because you fail to make A-List again? Exactly what might that accomplish? You'll pay for checked bags. You'll pay for your seat assignment. Genrally you'll pay a bit more for standard eonomy. You might pay  for carry on bags..

What exactly are you hoping to "get" from another airline?

sabrina17m
Explorer B

Thank you!

I only travel with carry-ons (I almost never check bags, even when flying internationally/abroad) and while the flexible seating is great, it's not a game-changer for me. The only "perk" I benefit from the most is the ability to change my flight day-of, which I now can simply pay slightly more for the "Wanna Get Away+" for that benefit, or I can stick to the "Wanna Get Away" fare and fly stand-by same day for free. I'm thankful they have rolled out these new features. 

I haven't started researching yet which I'll choose, but one thing other airlines offer is points/mileage programs that I can redeem with partner airlines - simply more flexibility. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sabrina17m wrote:

My last flight for this year was Christmas Day earlier this week. I had planned to take a day trip to finish that final leg this week but unfortunately fell ill. Today, I looked into flights within the next 2 days and while I was seriously considering it, it is simply too costly to fly anywhere this weekend from my home airport. 

All that said, has anyone experienced anything similar? What did you end up doing? Has anyone experienced a "challenge" akin to what one of the representatives described?

In all honesty, I am just yearning for some comfort knowing that I will lose my A-List status that I have benefitted from tremendously over the past few years. And as I am writing this, I am realizing this may ultimately result in me finally moving on to another airline, as my friends and family have fervently encouraged me to do so the past few years.  *sigh* 

I just wanted to make sure was that trip that you canceled the second leg a round trip or one-ways? If it was a round trip then you may have one more flight in the bank, but you'll have to call and break the trip apart into two separate legs so that the first one can be processed. This should be retro-active, flights flow in a calendar year count for that year. I'd go back and count the up separately from your tracker and see.

Second issue - no spending won't do anything for you except some tier qualifying points from spending, but it sounds like you aren't close on points basis, so forget all of those suggestions anyway. A-List is great but you wouldn't want to spend thousands chasing it.

Third issue you most likely will be given some sort of challenge offer early next year to woo you back - as you mentioned in your last point you will be a free agent and it is everyone's best interest to get you back on the A-list.

Also print out a screenshot of your status now tonight while you still have it, so you can do a status match with whichever other airline you like second best just in case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sabrina17m
Explorer B

I audited every single flight I took this year and unfortunately it did indeed total 24 flights 😞  thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.

Re: challenge - I'm praying it comes through, I really do love Southwest. Though their recent changes to their fares are really what I benefit most from (free same-day changes; fly standby free). I'm curious what perks remain post-changes to becoming an A-List member?

Shoot I wish I had read your comment re: screenshot of status sooner 😞 

Thank you again for your help!

dfwskier
Aviator A

1) For me the most important A-Lst benevit is the ability to get a good seat when I do a same day change or standby -- I board at what would be A61

2) Same day change regardless of fare type

3) 25% RR points bonus

4) Dediated A-List phone number - rasier to get thru when things head south

5) Dedicated FLY BY TSA access line ((I'm Pre, so it doesn;t help me, but it might be of value to someone else.

sabrina17m
Explorer B

1) I agree this benefit is a great one. I just checked into my first flight without A-List in several years and indeed it was disheartening not being Group A at all despite checking in 24 hours on the dot. In theory, however, this won’t be an issue as I won’t fly on Southwest as frequently this year since I’m not A List and thus not incentivized to choose Southwest anymore. 

2) Agreed - this was the primary benefit I utilized the most and will miss the most. 

3) No value add for me there - I use another credit card to book everything 

4) That’s a great point - I’ll miss that. Though, again,  this may not be relevant either as I fly Southwest less often.  

5) I have both CLEAR and Pre TSA so it doesn’t provide value for me either 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@dfwskier wrote:

1) For me the most important A-Lst benevit is the ability to get a good seat when I do a same day change or standby -- I board at what would be A61

2) Same day change regardless of fare type

3) 25% RR points bonus

4) Dediated A-List phone number - rasier to get thru when things head south

5) Dedicated FLY BY TSA access line ((I'm Pre, so it doesn;t help me, but it might be of value to someone else.

1. "A61" Benefit - LUV It! Before A-List, I've lost count of how many times I checked in at T-24 only to have a back-in-the-B position and having to buy Upgraded Boarding to be in the A-Group so I can have a good window seat. Being able to board in between A & B ensures that there should be a good window seat available, even if it's toward the back of the plane.

2. Same Day Flight Change - LUV It! Before A-List, I would book WGA+ to lock in this benefit as I've needed to use it a few times. Saves me additional cash.

3. 25% RR Bonus - LUV It! Great addon, especially if I need to book a flight that doesn't qualify for sale pricing. If I have to pay a high fare, the added points help offset the cost.

4. Dedicated Phone Line - LUV It! I've never liked waiting in lines; hence I have Global Entry to use for TSA and at the land border. The same can be said while waiting for customer service on the phone.

5. Priority Express Lanes Access - LUV It! Haven't needed to use it just yet at both the check-in counter and at the TSA Checkpoint. But I've seen that check-in line back up and there may be a time that I may need to use it should I need help while landside. I would certainly love to see the Priority Express lane at the TSA Checkpoint feed either into the PreCheck or Standard Line as CLEAR currently does...I really can't complain though; based on my experience, if the PreCheck lane is backed up as was the case for me last July for a day trip to SMF, TSA manages to keep the line moving and I'm through quickly.