Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I cancel gift cards ordered with points directly with More Rewards?

Butch85
Explorer C

Late Friday night someone gained unauthorized access to my sister's RapidRewards account and used all of her points to order gift cards to be mailed to an out of state address. When she called yesterday to report this she was just given a case number for an investigation that will likely take days. The representative said there was now way for here to simply cancel this order since it was a third party. There must be a way to do this before the order is complete. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can I cancel gift cards ordered with points directly with More Rewards?

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Butch85 wrote:

Late Friday night someone gained unauthorized access to my sister's RapidRewards account and used all of her points to order gift cards to be mailed to an out of state address. When she called yesterday to report this she was just given a case number for an investigation that will likely take days. The representative said there was now way for here to simply cancel this order since it was a third party. There must be a way to do this before the order is complete. Please help.

Hello!

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It looks like you already reached out to SW Customer Service on this. I would change your RR password if you haven't done so already and make sure that it is a strong password that cannot be easily guessed. 

If you haven't done so already, I would file a police report on this. This will serve as documentation and evidence that the transaction was an authorized theft. Although doing this may not necessarily mean law enforcement will be able to capture those responsible right away, it will serve as documentation that this was a theft which should help escalate your case.

After you file your police report, I would reach out to the SW More Rewards portal (linked below) and provide them with your Investigation Case and Police Report number directly. The SW More Rewards is the portal where one can redeem points for gift cards. Not sure if they'll be able to put a stop in the transaction right away but communicating your case numbers to them should help elevate this:

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0SWARR/browse/contactUs.jsp

Hope this helps!

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Butch85 wrote:

Hello!

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It looks like you already reached out to SW Customer Service on this. I would change your RR password if you haven't done so already and make sure that it is a strong password that cannot be easily guessed. 

If you haven't done so already, I would file a police report on this. This will serve as documentation and evidence that the transaction was an authorized theft. Although doing this may not necessarily mean law enforcement will be able to capture those responsible right away, it will serve as documentation that this was a theft which should help escalate your case.

After you file your police report, I would reach out to the SW More Rewards portal (linked below) and provide them with your Investigation Case and Police Report number directly. The SW More Rewards is the portal where one can redeem points for gift cards. Not sure if they'll be able to put a stop in the transaction right away but communicating your case numbers to them should help elevate this:

Hope this helps!

Sorry...correction. The contact link that I provided appears to be session-unique and will return a session timeout error. To contact SW More Rewards Go here:

https://www.1.awardhq.com/

Scroll the to the bottom of the page and click on the grey "Contact" link under "Help Center".

Butch85
Explorer C

Is there another way to access that form? That link at the bottom also just shows "timed out"

Butch85
Explorer C

I got to that form directly through awardhq.com. Thank you.

Also, I found a phone number for them 800-833-4861. It was a four year old chat so might be old # ?

Two factor authentication is long overdue for Southwest BTW.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Butch85 wrote:

Two factor authentication is long overdue for Southwest BTW.

A number of people on this board have reported their RR Accounts being compromised with their RR points being stolen. Two-step would resolve much of this in my opinion. When SW Airlines (not the SW More Awards portal) responds with an update with your case, I would reiterate your suggestion.

Maybe pose your reply to them in question-form: "Are there any plans for SW to implement 2-step verification so that this doesn't happen to me again?"

They may respond with a "thank you for your suggestion"-type of a reply as internal plans typically don't get announced to the public until a formal announcement or news release is made but a strong fact-based question like that could help assure that it gets duly considered.