Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Priority lane at check in counter

Justcurious1
Explorer C

Learning opportunity for me about this works. 
Earlier this week in a smaller airport with no self help kiosks ( you had to wait to get to the counter and then do the kiosk with the agent to print the baggage tags). It was 4 am and about 3 or 4 agents were doing 2 kiosks at a time. 
Where the regular line and priority check in line ended were right next to each other. 
There was a customer in the regular line who was letting every single priority person go to the kiosk before her at least 8 passengers if not more. By the time the priority line cleared the regular line had gotten so large it was exceeding its the ropes.

I was of the thought priority line would work like it would it did in Disney - where priority goes every other person, to keep both lines moving. 
However this pattern continued since it was the one set.

I feel the agents could have maybe directed it a bit better by shouting which line they were calling from. Rather than, “next in line”, calling “next in priority” or “next in regular”. 
I guess my question comes down to, was this the typical way this goes? If yes, I will know for next time! 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Priority lane at check in counter

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Justcurious1 wrote:

Earlier this week in a smaller airport with no self help kiosks ( you had to wait to get to the counter and then do the kiosk with the agent to print the baggage tags). It was 4 am and about 3 or 4 agents were doing 2 kiosks at a time. 
Where the regular line and priority check in line ended were right next to each other. 
There was a customer in the regular line who was letting every single priority person go to the kiosk before her at least 8 passengers if not more. By the time the priority line cleared the regular line had gotten so large it was exceeding its the ropes.

I was of the thought priority line would work like it would it did in Disney - where priority goes every other person, to keep both lines moving. 

I feel the agents could have maybe directed it a bit better by shouting which line they were calling from. Rather than, “next in line”, calling “next in priority” or “next in regular”. 
I guess my question comes down to, was this the typical way this goes? If yes, I will know for next time! 

Interesting observation. I find it unusual for a customer to be facilitating the queue line traffic flow.

I would think the norm would be if the two lines feed into one processing area and a line starts forming for both queues, then process "Disney" style--rotate between Regular after X-amount of Priority until a dedicated agent can staff and assist those in the Priority Lane. 

I've seen this whenever I utilize the TSA PreCheck Lane at non-busy hours where the lane can feed into one or two ID Check booths at the checkpoint. The booths would process Standard Screening, PreCheck, and Priority Express Lane groups and give PreCheck holders a paper pass to utilize the PreCheck benefits when heading to the X-Ray machine area.

I've noticed that if a line forms, they would process some "Regulars" after X-amount of Priority Express and PreChecks until they're able to have a dedicated agent to handle the PreCheck/Priority Express Lanes.

I would send an email or DM via Twitter/X to SW customer service to be sure:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Re: Priority lane at check in counter

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Justcurious1 wrote:

The way it worked is the typical or expectation - priority line walks up, priority line is next.

However usually there are more than one agent working the counters. 

Not having seen it in action the passenger was doing it "correctly" but usually it would be directed by the agent.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.