Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Combining Points and Cash to fly?

Einhander
Explorer C

I’m still new to this credit card, so some of the terminology is foreign to me. Let’s say there’s a flight that costs x amount. But I’m $100 short or so. 

can I combine my points with my own money to get a flight? Or would I need to buy points? I only understand things in simple terms lol.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Combining Points and Cash to fly?

bballflyer
Adventurer C

The ability to do the cash plus points has not rolled out yet so you can’t currently do that.  I would expect that when it does You will be able to pay a portion of it with points and the remainder with your credit card.  How that works and the amount of credit you get for your points remains to be seen;  currently you can buy points to supplement the points you have but the cost of points is expensive in mine mind,  I have only bought points if I need a thousand or two for a flight 

05bardic
Explorer B

Somebody else just asked about this recently. SW is still showing that this ability will be rolled out in the Spring, but no exact date yet. 

05bardic_0-1712873578005.png

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I am just crossing my fingers that you will be able to book a paid fare, and a points fare for another person, or even different fares, on the same reservation;  It is painful that I cannot book my family's flights on a single reservation and it is difficult to manage when you actually can.  I think this is wishful thinking though.