Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

Rocker1949
Explorer C

What is the best closing date, to ensure you get companion pass on January 4th or January 5th ?

I'm thinking 1st day of month for both. Then I'd make final purchases around 12/5/23 ? Does that make sense? The final points would post around 1/2/24. I'd have companion pass a few days after 1/2/24. Is this doable?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion Pass

dfwskier
Aviator A

So you intend to earn 135,000 points between 1/1/24 and 1/4/24 --- really?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

my closing date is the 23rd-26th and points post a day or two after that.  This gives most of the month of December to add to the current year CP points.  I wouldn't want it to cut off much earlier than that, but that is what works for me.  

Rocker1949
Explorer C

Thanks !

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Rocker1949 wrote:

What is the best closing date, to ensure you get companion pass on January 4th or January 5th ?

I'm thinking 1st day of month for both. Then I'd make final purchases around 12/5/23 ? Does that make sense? The final points would post around 1/2/24. I'd have companion pass a few days after 1/2/24. Is this doable?

Let's double-check your math on this one - you are saying that you'll earn all 135,000 points on one statement?

Any points earned during 2023 reset on 1/1/24 so having that billing statement after the first of January won't help you here if you are counting any points already posted in 2023.

We are usually getting the opposite question - how to get the points to post in 2023 so that they count this year because someone is getting close. So if your statement is 1/2 and the prior statement is 12/2 then you have to earn the 135,000 from purchases BEFORE 12/2. (Points from flights, hotels, etc. will still accumulate during December.)

Let us know if we aren't understanding your situation.

They do often take a few days to review qualifications so even if you do actually mean earning all the points by 1/4/24 it may not appear instantly - do you have a flight that first week of January or something? 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Rocker1949
Explorer C

I’m looking for companion status as early in Jan 2024 as possible. I will have most of December to work on it, and the points will post in early January, I want companion status all of 2024 and 2025.

Online I can change my payment due date. If I change my payment due date to the 30th  of every month my statement date should be around the 3rd every month. 
Does this make sense ? I’m trying not to overthink this. Thanks