Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do refunded Rapid Rewards points still count towards A-List?

rebekah272
Explorer C

Hi all!

I recently booked a flight using RR points but later cancelled it. I'm close to achieving A-List status, so I felt like I would be better off conserving the points and trying to hit 35,000 this year. I saw the points return to my account, but they were not re-added to my A-List tracker. Will the refunded points still count towards A-List, given that I did not use them to travel? All points were originally earned on qualifying flights - I would still like to get credit for that if possible.

The only guidance I've been able to find thus far is that flights booked with RR points don't count towards A-List, but that's not the situation I'm in, since I'm not trying to earn anything that hasn't already been earned.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Do refunded Rapid Rewards points still count towards A-List?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@rebekah272 wrote:

Hi all!

I recently booked a flight using RR points but later cancelled it. I'm close to achieving A-List status, so I felt like I would be better off conserving the points and trying to hit 35,000 this year. I saw the points return to my account, but they were not re-added to my A-List tracker. Will the refunded points still count towards A-List, given that I did not use them to travel? All points were originally earned on qualifying flights - I would still like to get credit for that if possible.

The only guidance I've been able to find thus far is that flights booked with RR points don't count towards A-List, but that's not the situation I'm in, since I'm not trying to earn anything that hasn't already been earned.

Hello-

My understanding is Tier-Qualifying Rapid Rewards Points (TQP) earned via qualifying flights post to a Rapid Rewards account and the respective accountholder's TQP tracker after the whole booked trip is taken and completed, not after booking. Also, flights booked with points are only subtracted from the total Rapid Rewards points balance, not from the TQP counter for A-List nor Companion Pass-qualifying point counter for Companion Pass. 

Hence, booking and then cancelling a booked flight via points should not affect the TQP counter. To be clear, a flight booked with points does not count toward the 25 flights option for A-List.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@rebekah272 wrote:

Hi all!

Hello-

My understanding is Tier-Qualifying Rapid Rewards Points (TQP) earned via qualifying flights post to a Rapid Rewards account and the respective accountholder's TQP tracker after the whole booked trip is taken and completed, not after booking. Also, flights booked with points are only subtracted from the total Rapid Rewards points balance, not from the TQP counter for A-List nor Companion Pass-qualifying point counter for Companion Pass. 

Hence, booking and then cancelling a booked flight via points should not affect the TQP counter. To be clear, a flight booked with points does not count toward the 25 flights option for A-List.

Just one clarification - think of the TQP as a "clock" or gauge that only goes up all year. 

Redeeming rapid rewards points is from a separate bucket that goes up and down as you use them and earn them.

The amount deposited to your rewards bucket is proportional* to the increase of the TQP gauge, but the gauge never goes back down even when you use the points from the reward bucket. 

*Points aren't identical quantity - you can get various bonuses to multiply your reward bucket while the TQP is the same except for specific promotions, there are many ways to earn reward points that aren't TQP, etc.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rebekah272
Explorer C

Thank you both for the clarification - I’m glad I found this forum! It all very much makes sense.