Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Does the 20,000 credit card referral count towards companion pass?

Ciozzia13
Explorer C

I keep getting conflicting answers when I call southwest rewards. I had two reps tell me that it does go toward companion pass and had one representative tell me it does not. When you look online it is not clear. 

thank you! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does the 20,000 credit card referral count towards companion pass?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Going to have to check the footnotes. Potentially not if it is a promotional bonus point.

End of Year - Tier Qualifying Points (southwest.com)

DancingDavidE_0-1698375224536.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C
Solution

Last year (2022) I received a 20,000 point referral bonus for a friend that obtained the SW credit card.  I can confirm that it counted towards companion pass at that time.

Ciozzia13
Explorer C

Thanks! I guess I will see what happens. lol 

I am so close to meeting companion pass and if this counts I would make it. Do you know if your friend had to spend the 1,000 and pay their bill before you got the referral bonus?  It says 8 weeks after approved. Not clear and when I call customer service they can’t even tell me for sure. 

thanks! 

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C

Good question and sorry I do not remember how long it took.  I am 99% sure the 20,000 point award is based upon when the friend is approved.  Not when they spend money with it or pay their credit card.  It was in the middle of the year for me so I did not pay close attention to when it posted.