Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family Member Passed - Chase Southwest Card & RR Points

tommyJ716
Explorer C

Quick question - a family member passed recently and had a Chase SW card & RR Points from bonus sign up and purchases a few years ago) - They are in her RR account. 

I know that there's no way to "transfer" them -- but would like to continue to login to her account on RR and use the points for flights. (I have this info because she didn't fly, she got the card to let me be able to use the points.)

If we alert chase to her passing and they close the card, I know they can't claw back those old points, but do they alert RR that the cardmember passed? If they do, than RR will likely close out the points. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Family Member Passed - Chase Southwest Card & RR Points

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I don;t know for sure, but I suspect that Chase just closes the account. 

And, yes, as long as you have the userid and password you can keep using the points. I've done it. As a matter of fact you can continue to add points to the account - if you need a few - by using the SW dining and SW shopping optuons.

Ive done it.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

I have also done it.

I manage my parents' affairs.  My dad passed.  The SW RR credit card was in his name and I immediately closed his credit card account.  His RR account, with over 100,000 points, continued and continues to be active.  I constantly use it to book my mom tickets when she wants to travel.  Once his RR account hits a zero balance, I will notify SWA to cancel it.

floridaguy
Aviator C

This has come up before.  My suggestion is to list those as assets in the estate and if they fail to honor the point transfer as any other personal property would occur, file a lawsuit.