Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help! Companion Pass

Roeg
Explorer C

Hello, hoping for any advice someone could provide re Companion Pass.  I am A-list and had Companion Pass in 2017.  I currently have 96,000 points but need 110,000 points to qualify for 2018 Companion pass.  I had thought that I could purchase 14,000 points to get there but was informed I cannot.  To be this close and not get this will be very frustrating.  Do I have any options to do something in the 3 days left in the year?  Much appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help! Companion Pass

franktravel
Aviator B

Take a business select flight and earn 12X points.  The points must post by 12/31 

Good luck! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Flying is probably the most reliable way to close that gap in the limited time allowed. I don't know if any shopping or credit card earning can post fast enough for you.

To reach 14,000 points with a BS fare at 12x points you'd be looking at $1,167 worth of flights, so that's a pretty big bite, as well as taking up a day to make the round trip.

I don't know if you felt that you got $1,200 worth of value from companion pass in 2017 or not...for me I estimate $5k+ value last year, so in the same situation I'd do it if I was free on Saturday. Smiley LOL

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

craziestjetli2
Explorer C

Never buy reward points.  It is non-refundable if you decide you don't want it.  The reward system is run by a 3rd party so SW can't do anything about it.  So they say.

drewarms
Explorer C

Take a look at Rocketmiles for Hotel Accomodations.  You may be able find somewhere to fly to, stay the night, and then return home.  You can sometimes earn as many as 4,000 or 5,000 points for a single night stay.  This may be more economical than trying to hit the mark solely on a flight.

Good Luck!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's not likely that the points from a hotel stay would post on/before December 31, but certainly a good idea if it had been thought of sooner.  Book the hotel through southwest.com to ensure the points qualify for Companion Pass.

Purchased points do not count towards any status tier (A-List, A-List Preferred) or Companion Pass.

I agree with the others who posted, flying is probably the only way to ensure you get the points in time.