Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points & Cash for Family Reservation?

Ntrums34
Explorer C

We are planning a trip in the summer for myself, my spouse, and our two kids. My spouse and I have enough points each to pay for our flights, but our kids don't have near enough points. Is there a way to pay for our two flights entirely with points, and our kids with cash while keeping it on the same reservation? I'd hate to have to break them up and manage 4 reservations instead of one. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Points & Cash for Family Reservation?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You could buy 2 one way flights.

Pay for the outbound with points for all four, and the return with cash for all four..

Southwest does not charge more for 2 one ways vs the roundtrips -- unlike some airlines.

Ntrums34
Explorer C

If I were to do that, is there a way to use my points and my spouse's points to pay? Right now, it is prompting me to buy more points because I do not have enough individually to pay for all four one way flights. Is this a situation where I should just call to have the reservation made?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Ntrums34 wrote:

If I were to do that, is there a way to use my points and my spouse's points to pay? Right now, it is prompting me to buy more points because I do not have enough individually to pay for all four one way flights. Is this a situation where I should just call to have the reservation made?

You can use your points to buy tickets for other people, or yourself and other people at the same time.

So you may:

• If one person has enough points for everyone then that person will be logged in and buy RT tickets for four people.
  • If not, then break it apart you buy four tickets one-way and spouse buys four tickets one-way.
  • If not enough there, then you'll have to start splitting up the reservatations into pairs - spouse plus one kid and then yourself and one kid, pay cash for remaining tickets. If you do this, book one-way tickets so when you use cash on the return trip you can buy all four tickets together again.
  • Since I'm chasing status personally I would use my points to buy tickets for my family, and cash for my own. Keep that in mind if either you or your spouse are trying to make A-list or ALP - buy that ticket cash and use your points for the kids.

If you split up from the kids you have to buy your ticket first and then theirs in case they are younger and can't fly alone, the system will ask for your confirmation number to be flying with them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.