Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Purchasing flights with Southwest Credit Card

yammahaw
Explorer C

So we are contemplating getting a SW premier cc. I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. If I buy flights (wanna get away and not with points) and I end up canceling will I get credited points or will I get the cash back to my card?

2. If my wife and I both have RR accounts, will the purchases we make on our card be split between the RR accounts or will it just get credited to the account holders account?

3. Can the account holder transfer RR points earned on the card to the authorized user?

4. If I am an authorized user, do I have access to the points on the card or are they listed on the primary account holders RR account?

5. Are there any TSA/"airport security" benefits

6. Does Chase ever wave the annual fee?

Much thanks to whoever can answer these questions for me.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Purchasing flights with Southwest Credit Card

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@yammahaw wrote:

So we are contemplating getting a SW premier cc. I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. If I buy flights (wanna get away and not with points) and I end up canceling will I get credited points or will I get the cash back to my card?

2. If my wife and I both have RR accounts, will the purchases we make on our card be split between the RR accounts or will it just get credited to the account holders account?

3. Can the account holder transfer RR points earned on the card to the authorized user?

4. If I am an authorized user, do I have access to the points on the card or are they listed on the primary account holders RR account?

5. Are there any TSA/"airport security" benefits

6. Does Chase ever wave the annual fee?

Much thanks to whoever can answer these questions for me.

1. Same as any other method of purchase - you'll get a travel credit. (Unless you are canceling within 24 hours of the purchase)
  2. You'll designate one RR account which needs to match the name of the card holder.
  3. Yes but please don't - the RR account holder can book tickets for another person directly without transferring the points and paying the "commission" percentage to do that.
  4. Points will be in the RR account, so whoever has the login info for the RR account will have the points. Points are only held with Southwest in the RR program.
  5. No - don't believe so for these programs.
  6. No - not that I've ever heard of, there is a version of the card that doesn't have an annual fee, but also doesn't include a few benefits like the upgraded boarding reimbursement.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

yammahaw
Explorer C

Thank you for your response. Do you know if the SW card provides car insurance overseas, IE Costa Rica, Mexico? What other unnamed benefits does it offer?

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Think you really need to go on the Chase website and read the terms and conditions of the specific CC you apply for. Even then, after you apply for the card, reread the the T&C's, issuing banks change the benefits offered often, some for the better some for the worse. They are in business to make money.

Safe Travels