Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Spouse is additional card holder - Earn Promo w/own card?

Makenssey
Explorer C

I currently am the SW credit card owner with my spouse as an additional card holder. However, my promotional companion pass is about to expire, and SW has another promotion going on to earn companion pass. Can my spouse sign up for a card in his name and earn this promotion? Or can he not since we have him as an additional card holder under my SW CC account?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Spouse is additional card holder - Earn Promo w/own card?

dfwskier
Aviator A

The fact that your spouse is an aditional cardholder is immaterial.

Yes, he can sign up for his own card and yes he would be eligible for the CP bonus.

Nicholas185Smit
Explorer C

According to the Southwest website, the current promotion for earning a Companion Pass with a new Southwest credit card is only available to new cardmembers who do not have a current Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card account and have not received a new cardmember bonus on a Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card in the past 24 months. This means that if your spouse is only an additional cardholder on your account, he may be eligible for the promotion, as long as he meets the other criteria. However, if he has his own Southwest credit card account or has received a bonus on one in the past 24 months, he would not qualify for the promotion.

To apply for the promotion, your spouse would need to choose one of the three personal Southwest credit cards and complete the minimum spending requirement of $4,000 in the first three months from account opening. He would then receive a Companion Pass valid until Feb. 28, 2025, plus 30,000 points. The promotion ends on March 11, 2024.

I hope this answers your question.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Nicholas185Smit wrote:

According to the Southwest website, the current promotion for earning a Companion Pass with a new Southwest credit card is only available to new cardmembers who do not have a current Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card account and have not received a new cardmember bonus on a Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card in the past 24 months. This means that if your spouse is only an additional cardholder on your account, he may be eligible for the promotion, as long as he meets the other criteria. However, if he has his own Southwest credit card account or has received a bonus on one in the past 24 months, he would not qualify for the promotion.

To apply for the promotion, your spouse would need to choose one of the three personal Southwest credit cards and complete the minimum spending requirement of $4,000 in the first three months from account opening. He would then receive a Companion Pass valid until Feb. 28, 2025, plus 30,000 points. The promotion ends on March 11, 2024.

I hope this answers your question.

We were told "no" that being added to the current card counts as being a cardholder.

But verify the terms of your offer @Makenssey as usually there are two different types:

• Promotional companion pass offered to current customers - usually involves flying rather than opening a new card but I've heard of these lately being tied to new card applications. New territory as far as current cardmembers or being restricted for previous bonuses - one that we had signed up for did not have either of those restrictions, but others are mentioning a current offer that does.
  • Points bonus that doesn't directly get you companion pass, but makes a huge contribution to the annual - these have always had the restrictions about new cards and time from previous bonus.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.