Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tier Qualifying Points on flights

Chris6
Explorer C

Curious how TQPs are calculated on flights. Specific questions: 

1. I see in my account info under earned points, past flights where it shows "Flight" with some points to the right, 930 in my example, then if you click the down arrow to open details, it shows "Tier qualifying points 744". What is relationship/formula between 930 and 744 here?

2. If I have upcoming flight, it shows a value for "EST. POINTS" (990 in my flight example). Will all of these be TQPs? Or is there some formula used to determine how many will be TQPs?

Would like to estimate upcoming TQP earnings towards A-List. 

Thanks!

-Chris

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Tier Qualifying Points on flights

dfwskier
Aviator A

TQP are earned at the rate of 6/$1 for WGA, 8/$1 for WGA+, 10/$1 for anytimes, and 12/$1 for BS of base fare (not counting taxes and fees)

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C
Solution

You must be A-List.  You get a 25% earning bonus for RR points only.  Without A-List you would have earned 744 RR points.  But since you are A-List you earn 744 +25% = 930 Rapid Rewards points.

Tier Qualifying Points do not get the benefit of A-List or A-List Preferred multipliers.  If you earn 744 points then that is it.  No status is recognized when calculating TQPs.

Chris6
Explorer C

That helps, thanks. So for my upcoming flight that shows "EST POINTS" of 990, I should earn 990 TQPs from that (and 1238 RR points), if I understand correctly?

@kingsmatt80 wrote:

You must be A-List.  You get a 25% earning bonus for RR points only.  Without A-List you would have earned 744 RR points.  But since you are A-List you earn 744 +25% = 930 Rapid Rewards points.

Tier Qualifying Points do not get the benefit of A-List or A-List Preferred multipliers.  If you earn 744 points then that is it.  No status is recognized when calculating TQPs.

kingsmatt80
Adventurer C

That helps, thanks. So for my upcoming flight that shows "EST POINTS" of 990, I should earn 990 TQPs from that (and 1238 RR points), if I understand correctly?

Yes exactly!