Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna getaway plus cancellation question

rich1954
Adventurer A

My mother-in-law (age 96) does not plan to fly again. She has over 8k points in her rapid rewards account. I on the other hand plan on booking a flight next week or two and do not have enough points for the flight. 

I believe I can book a flight in her name and her points with a wanna get a way plus fare, cancel a day or 2 later and then transfer the points into my RR account free of charge. 

Can someone confirm this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Wanna getaway plus cancellation question

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Unfortunately the transfer funds only works with travel funds for money paid by CC or gift cards/vouchers so you couldn’t use WGA+ to get a free points transfer 

You can use her points to buy a ticket for yourself however as long as she has enough points for your one way/RT ticket to do this just log in to her account select the flight you want once you get to the traveler info change her info to yours (Name, DOB, gender, email, etc) if she doesn’t have enough points you can buy the difference in points **LOGGED IN TO HER ACCOUNT** or you can transfer points but if your doing a round trip flight and one way is say 7,900 and she has 8k I would book 2 one ways so you can use points at least one way. 

Re: Wanna getaway plus cancellation question

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

if your doing a round trip flight and one way is say 7,900 and she has 8k I would book 2 one ways so you can use points at least one way. 

Nailed it @bec102896 !

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.