Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Was A-List, Now I’m not, What Happened?

jefisher
Explorer C

Might be a dumb question but, here’s my situation:

I took a trip Dec 7-10, 2023 to Chicago with my husband (I have a Companion Pass for him), & when we went to check in we were pleasantly surprised to see that we had achieved A-List status.

This morning we went to check in for a flight which will occur tomorrow Dec 18, 2023-Jan 8, 2024 to Maui and I no longer have A-List status.

Could anyone help me understand what happened?

is it because when I purchased the Maui flight (around June of 2023 I think) I had not yet achieved A List status? But when I purchased the Chicago flight in October, I was A-List I guess?????

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Was A-List, Now I’m not, What Happened?

dfwskier
Aviator A

A-List status is dependent on date of travel and not date or purchase.

For example, if one has A-list in 2023, but not 2024 and buys a ticket with a 2023 outbound, and a 2024 return, then the former flight would have status, but the latter flight would not.

As to your situation, how did you obtain A-List? That might help explain what might be happening. You seemed surprised that you had status for your Chicago trip.

bec102896
Aviator A

Did you boarding pass actually say A List on your outbound flight or did you just get lucky and score an A boarding pass at check in?

Did you sign up for any A List promotions?

jefisher
Explorer C

Yes my boarding pass noted that I was A-List. 

I do not remember signing up for any promotions but I do remember checking my status on the SW App and it said “you have achieved A list status”.

I honestly think they made a mistake and made me A-List for “a minute”. I have almost 44K points (it only takes 35K to achieve A List status) but they told me at customer service that not all of those points are “Tier Qualifying Points”.  Hotel purchases do not count apparently…only flight purchases???

dfwskier
Aviator A

Virtually all RR points earned are Companion Pass quualifying.

Only RR points earned by actually flying - plus those from Chase (1500 for every $10 000 spent) -- are A-List qualifying.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There must have been a promotion or something if you had it briefly and now don't have it again.

You can go here and click the pull down on "point type" to show tier qualifying points and see what your progress is.

Southwest Airlines - My Account - Points Activity

DancingDavidE_0-1702961056519.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Terminology just does quite make sense here, as others have noted. Companion Pass holders don't just get, "A-list" status. So there is no way to be,   "pleasantly surprised to see that we had achieved A-List status." You may have achieved A-List, but your companion's status is not connected to your frequent flyer status. (he just gets sequential boarding with you)

Safe Travels

jefisher
Explorer C

Well, I was pleasantly surprised because I had not checked my A-List Status for quite a while. But when we went to check in for myself, I was already checked in and my boarding pass noted “A-List” (alongside my TSA Pre). Then when my husband checked in he was right after me.