Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Non-refundable hotel reservation RR points companion pass timing

dfwskier
Aviator A

If the charge appears on a credit card statement that closes in 2023, you'll get those points in 2023 . You only get hotel/rent card points for the actual stay/car rental after you have completed the stay/rental.

Mryan1
Explorer C

Thank you for the response. 

I was wondering if anyone has see RR point credit for non-refundable hotels at the time of payment before I spend the extra money to recognize the points before the year end close. 

Thanks again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Mryan1 wrote:

Quick question to the experienced hotel and RR travelers.

I am very close to earning a companion pass for next year with expected hotel stay mid-January.  If I book a non-refundable hotel stay today, do I get the RR points at the time of billing, or do I have to wait until after I stay at the property.  I suspect being non-refundable it should not matter when, but wanted to ask more experienced travelers.    the hotel we are looking at is $300 more than another site, but if we get the companion pass with the spend it would be worth it.  Thanks!!

That is correct @confused1 as stated - if you pay today you'll get the 300+ points for the $300+ with the current billing statement. You'll get the rapid rewards points for the stay when you stay in 2024. 

Here is the cheat sheet on how you can get some additional points. How close are you?

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: hotel points towards companion pass?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@confused1 wrote:

That is great news to hear (see / read!!)  I saw your screenshot and you are absolutely correct. ,  it reflects it there very clearly..  Are points posted after actual check in and check out of stay? the reason I ask is because of timing since starting to build CP beginning of next year and the stay is next year. 

I'm concerned if booking hotel to reserve spot  (but stay will be for next year) and it will go towards CP, those points would be zeroed out ?  I'm really hoping the points get delivered when check in and check out is done.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and share your experience 🙂 thank you so much and please when you can let me know about the delivery of points (if when booked /reservation is done in 2023 or when the check in  and check out of hotel stay has been completed).  And yes, for sure I will do with Free Cancellation and thru the Southwest Hotels while being logged into my account.  Again thank you!!  

After checkout.

Thus, if you book your hotel now and fulfill your stay in 2024, CP points will go toward 2024.

Similar to Rapid Reward Points earned via flights, Southwest Hotel and Rocket Miles points are posted after the stay, not at the time of booking.

By the way, I assume you booked a Points Plus property--the ones highlighted in blue, have the biggest points offers, and are pre-paid at booking.

E.g.:

SAN Hotels Plus Points 9.20.2023.jpg

For these, the points usually post within a few days after check out. 

p.s. I cannot complain about the Southwest Hotels booking portal! I had to book a 1-night hotel stay near Mission Bay San Diego for a Friday night next month where weekend rates in that area are expensive with all the tourism! Through the portal, I found a decent Points Plus hotel about 10 minutes away from the bay in the Kearny Mesa business district for $102 ($115 after taxes) and 2,000 points w/ free cancellation. Factor in the Rewards point value, my total cost to stay near San Diego Mission Bay on a Friday added up to about $85.

confused1
Explorer A

Thank you so so much!! That is all great news !! I have not yet booked the stay yet.  The portal that I log in is exactly like the one you sent a screenshot below and yes they do say point Plus properties.  Flights have been booked for 2024 and stay will also be booked for 2024.  I am so excited!!  You have helped so much.  I may have to change my username from "confused" to not so confused (lol).  

thanks a million times

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@confused1 wrote:

Thank you so so much!! That is all great news !! I have not yet booked the stay yet.  The portal that I log in is exactly like the one you sent a screenshot below and yes they do say point Plus properties.  Flights have been booked for 2024 and stay will also be booked for 2024.  I am so excited!!  You have helped so much.  I may have to change my username from "confused" to not so confused (lol).  

thanks a million times

Flights and hotels and most things all apply the points to when the activity took place - so even if you flew or stayed at a hotel on December 31st the points will be to the prior year, not when they are awarded in the current year. 

Booking does not earn points*. Flying/staying earns points.

*If you prepay then you get 1 point per dollar on purchases if you have the Southwest Visa, that you get when you pay.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

confused1
Explorer A

hello and thank you!  Everyone's feedback is so appreciated.  Flights and stay are all in 2024.  The stay was indeed booked with a Southwest Visa, however the stay is in 2024. I ensured to book with the Point Plus Properties which indicated it earned me points.  Because all activity will take place in 2024, what I really hoping for that all the points are towards the companion pass for 2024.  Am I at the right track?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@confused1 wrote:

hello and thank you!  Everyone's feedback is so appreciated.  Flights and stay are all in 2024.  The stay was indeed booked with a Southwest Visa, however the stay is in 2024. I ensured to book with the Point Plus Properties which indicated it earned me points.  Because all activity will take place in 2024, what I really hoping for that all the points are towards the companion pass for 2024.  Am I at the right track?

Yes! The Points Plus "bonus" will post in 2024 provided you fulfill your stay in 2024. Date of booking doesn't matter. As mentioned on the Southwest Hotels site during booking, Guest Information must match the name associated with the Rapid Rewards account number used to qualify.

Since you paid with a Southwest Chase Credit Card, keep in mind that the additional "X Points for each $X spent" earned via any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards also count toward Companion Pass but these points will post at the end of the billing cycle:

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/tiers-more-companion-pass

In this case, you'll be getting two sets of 'bonus' points...First, the larger Points Plus 'bonus' will without question post in 2024 after the stay and count toward a 2024 CP provided that you fulfill the stay. That's will be locked in stone.

Since Plus Points properties are prepaid and you've paid for it via your Southwest Credit card, the "X Points for each $X spent" 'bonus' portion will post at the end of the billing cycle...2023. 

• E.g. Suppose today that I book a hotel room via Southwest Hotels and paid $115 total for a Plus Points property for 2024 on a Southwest Credit Card. The Plus Points 'bonus' was 2,000 points; my credit card terms offered 2 points for every $1 spent on Southwest Hotels partners.

The CP-qualifying points post dates would be:
  • 2,000 Points (Plus Points) - 2024 a few days after the stay...good toward 2024 CP.
  • 230 Points ($115 x 2points via Credit Card) - 2023 at the close of the Billing Cycle if booked today. Not valid toward 2024 CP but the points themselves never expire--Still well worth it!

Note that if the hotel you're booking has a separate resort fee that is charged at check-in and you use your Southwest Credit Card to pay this fee at the front desk, the points for that transaction will post for 2024.

Hope this helps! 🙂

confused1
Explorer A

Awesome thank you so much!! I will keep you posted on how everything goes.  I am very excited !!

confused1
Explorer A

hi guys, happy new year!  I am a little freaked out because my companion pass points say zero (?) 😞 😞  .  What did I do wrong?