Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List Same Day Changes - Impacted Itinerary

sabrina17m
Explorer B

IMG_2775.jpeg

I have a flight today that was changed by Southwest. “We’re sorry we had to change your flight(s). A change to your itinerary has impacted your original reservation. If you don’t like your new itinerary, you can change it for free, up to two times.” 

I want to change my flight today using my A-List privilege of free same-day changes (which I do regularly, and is a huge reason I fly SW), NOT one of the two changes listed above because (a) I have the same-day change privilege so I don’t need to use one of those two changes offered and (b) I want to be able to change the return flight the two times in case I need to. 

I called customer service and experienced my first encounter with a painfully rude rep in the 15+ years I have been flying with Southwest: “Well guess what, it’s going to count as a change.”

Anyway - does anyone know what my options are here? Are my A-List privileges waived when *Southwest* makes changes to *my* itinerary? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: A-List Same Day Changes - Impacted Itinerary

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@sabrina17m wrote:

IMG_2775.jpeg

I have a flight today that was changed by Southwest. “We’re sorry we had to change your flight(s). A change to your itinerary has impacted your original reservation. If you don’t like your new itinerary, you can change it for free, up to two times.” 

I want to change my flight today using my A-List privilege of free same-day changes (which I do regularly, and is a huge reason I fly SW), NOT one of the two changes listed above because (a) I have the same-day change privilege so I don’t need to use one of those two changes offered and (b) I want to be able to change the return flight the two times in case I need to. 

I called customer service and experienced my first encounter with a painfully rude rep in the 15+ years I have been flying with Southwest: “Well guess what, it’s going to count as a change.”

Anyway - does anyone know what my options are here? Are my A-List privileges waived when *Southwest* makes changes to *my* itinerary? 

Hello-

Southwest-initiated flight changes allows you to alter both the dates and times of the flight up to two times whereas the A-List Same Day Flight Change benefit allows you to change to a different flight time on the same day if available with no limit. I think that's where the confusion was.

Southwest Policy:

• Change your flight
  • If you have been affected by an involuntary change, you can change each flight date/time in your original reservation, both the impacted and non-impacted, by up to 14 days from your original travel date up to two times at no additional cost.

https://www.southwest.com/help/changes-and-cancellations/changing-cancelling-flights

Since you're flying today, I would make the outbound Same Day Flight change via the app or online to your desired time so that you're all confirmed and checked in for the outbound trip. Do the same for your return trip on the date of return if needed.

If you run into any issues with this, I would go to the ticket counter for help. Don't forget you have front of the line benefits with A-List with the Fly-By Priority Lane.

Lastly, after your trip, I would also report the telephone CSA rep incident in an email to Southwest. That type of a response is not normal.

sabrina17m
Explorer B

Thank you. I tried to make the outbound Same Day Flight change via the app and it the confirmation page says "Double-check your new flight below before your free change" - it sounds like I am depleting one of my free changes offered rather than utilizing my Same Day change benefit. I spoke to another rep (who was FAR more helpful, thankfully) who told me he wrote down a note should I face any issues when I make changes to my return flight. 

And thank you for acknowledging my experience with the CSA rep - that's a good idea.

dfwskier
Aviator A

What difference does it make if you change today's flight either with the "allowed" 2 free Southwest changes or your A-List allowed free same day change? A change to today's flight is a change to today's flight.

You said something about changing your return flight. When SW changes your outbound flight it does not automatically give you the option of changing your return flight. Although, you can use your A-List free same day change to do so.

sabrina17m
Explorer B

The difference is significant. My Same Day change only grants me changes on the same day, different time. The "allowed" 2 free Southwest changes allows me to change the time *and* the date.

Secondly, re: "When SW changes your outbound flight it does not automatically give you the option of changing your return flight" - please refer to the screenshot and my initial message - I am granted the opportunity to adjust my entire itinerary.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sabrina17m wrote:

Secondly, re: "When SW changes your outbound flight it does not automatically give you the option of changing your return flight" - please refer to the screenshot and my initial message - I am granted the opportunity to adjust my entire itinerary.

That must be a change in policy. Sorry for giving bad advice.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sabrina17m wrote:

IMG_2775.jpeg

Once you confirm these changes, you'll still have your A-list ability to change afterwards.

This change has priority so the other change wouldn't apply until this one was resolved. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sabrina17m
Explorer B

Thank you, however my goal/concern is to have the ability to make changes to the day *and* time of my return flight if necessary. I do not need that flexibility for my flight today, as I have my Same Day benefit. I do not want to lose the ability to modify my return flight by simply using my Same Day benefit today. 

Ultimately I spoke to another rep (who was FAR more helpful, thankfully) who told me he wrote down a note should I face any issues when I make changes to my return flight. 

bec102896
Aviator A

My mom had a similar situation recently she changed her outbound flight only on the app and after the change the free change message was still on the reservation after the change so she was able to make a 2nd free change if she wanted.