Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Claiming Refund Credits

jamietr91
Explorer C

Hi, I bought tickets for other members in my family and later we were able to find cheaper tickets so we got refunded with credits. I have a Rapid Rewards account but they don't. I understand Wanna Get Away is non transferable and I checked in this link, Check Travel Funds they all have the refunds to their name.

My question is, do they have to create a Rapid Rewards account to claim the refund credits? Or the next time I buy them tickets using my RR account, can I just put their name on the ticket and the refund credits will automatically be applied?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Claiming Refund Credits

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

With the wanna get away tickets if you reprice the ticket because it got cheaper the price difference is held as a travel fund when you book a new flight later on only the names of the passengers with travel funds can use them and you don’t need an account to use the travel funds. 

example if you have 2 people on a reservation and the cost goes down $50 a person each person will have $50 for a future flight when you book the new flight you will use your current confirmation number to access the funds. The most important thing even if you paid for the flight you can only use your credit for your ticket you can’t use your friends credit for your ticket. Keep this confirmation number in a note so you can use the credit easy later on. 

**now if you have the wanna get away plus ticket those funds are transferable but both you and the other passengers must have RR accounts to transfer funds and the funds can be transferred to anyone 

hope this helps! 

jamietr91
Explorer C

Hi, thanks for your reply!

When you said "use your current confirmation number" to access the funds, do you mean the confirmation number associated with the travel funds or the confirmation number of the new flight (in the future) I'll book?

On your later notes, just wanted to confirm if I understand it right. If I book new tickets with Wanna Get Away Plus using these travel funds, and then cancel all of them, I can get/transfer all the travel funds back under my name?

epcot
Adventurer C
Solution

You would use the current confirmation code. When you go to book the new flight it will ask you to enter the Flight Credit info of first name, last name, and the original confirmation code. Your new reservation will receive an entirely different one.

As far as rebooking, yes as of right now if you cancel, rebook into WGA+, and cancel again the flight credit will become transferable even if it previously was not. I'm not sure Southwest intended this so it could change in the future.

Keep in mind transferable funds are only transferable one time though you could do the same book WGA+ and cancel if you wanted to make them transferable again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@jamietr91 wrote:

On your later notes, just wanted to confirm if I understand it right. If I book new tickets with Wanna Get Away Plus using these travel funds, and then cancel all of them, I can get/transfer all the travel funds back under my name?

Yes, except each person will have to sign up for a RR account to claim the credits and transfer them to you.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.