Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion flies free promotion

Jlsswflyer01
Explorer C

I just booked qualifying flights for Companion Flies free promotion. Travel takes place in spring and flight with companion must travel August - early October.  I understand I will receive the Companion Pass Credit in my account at end of May. 

My question is can/should I book October flight for self and companion now to ensure we both have seats and then call SW to have agent apply the credit to my companions ticket fare.  Or, must I wait until I have the credit and then try to book our flights?  I worry if I book my single flight now it could be sold out when I get the companion credit for my spouse, or if wait to book the availability may be very limited since our trip would be on final day of promotion. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion flies free promotion

epcot
Adventurer C
Solution

You will not receive the Promotional Companion Pass in May... that is when the promotional flight qualification window ends. You will get the pass in August when the actual Promotional Companion Pass travel window is live. You can book one seat now, and then add the second seat once the Companion Pass is in your account in August.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jlsswflyer01 wrote:

I just booked qualifying flights for Companion Flies free promotion. Travel takes place in spring and flight with companion must travel August - early October.  I understand I will receive the Companion Pass Credit in my account at end of May. 

My question is can/should I book October flight for self and companion now to ensure we both have seats and then call SW to have agent apply the credit to my companions ticket fare.  Or, must I wait until I have the credit and then try to book our flights?  I worry if I book my single flight now it could be sold out when I get the companion credit for my spouse, or if wait to book the availability may be very limited since our trip would be on final day of promotion. 

If you are nervous about the flight selling out book the companion ticket on points if possible, which will re refunded to you when you swap for companion ticket, or else you can use a refundable fare.

Otherwise if the companion also flies often you can book WGA fare and swap it, then the companion will have a travel credit to use later, it won't be refunded.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

If you are worried it will book up and dony have enough miles to book for your companion, you can a book a refundable (Anytime) fare for them and when you get the companion pass you can cancel it and add them. 

Jlsswflyer01
Explorer C

Thank you.