Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lower fares-not able to change flight online

meeshe
Explorer C

I used to be able to "change" my flight to the exact same flight online so I could get a lower fare and receive travel fund credit for the difference.  Now it is not showing me the same flight as an option.  I would have to choose a different flight.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any way around it?  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Lower fares-not able to change flight online

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Are you in a weather event where you can change it for free first?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

meeshe
Explorer C

No.  They're just a bit lower because of the current sale.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@meeshe wrote:

I used to be able to "change" my flight to the exact same flight online so I could get a lower fare and receive travel fund credit for the difference.  Now it is not showing me the same flight as an option.  I would have to choose a different flight.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any way around it?  

Hello-

I'm not able to reproduce what you describe through the standard flight change module on the SW website (the original flight shows on the screen as an option with the change-of-fare difference); however I have two upcoming active bookings that underwent a minor schedule modification last November in which Southwest marked as "Your Trip was Modified" which essentially "unlocked" the ability for me to (up to twice) change the flight date/time up to 14 days before or after the original booking with no difference in fare.

The header of these flights look like this when I open the Change Flight module:

SW Change Flight.png

I found that when I try to change a flight through this module, I do not see the original flight as an option, nor can I rebook with a lower posted fare. However, I have the flexibility to change the dates/times and nearby alternative airports at no difference in fare. If that's your case, you can cancel this booking and use the flight credit toward rebooking it under the lower posted fare. Keep in mind, this "forfeits" your 14-day/time/airport change flexibility from the original booking.

meeshe
Explorer C
Solution

Yes I think that must be it.  These too were "modified" by SW. I don't understand why this would prevent us from taking advantage of the lower fares, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Thank you for responding!

shivam34az
Explorer C

I called and they helped. I had A-list preferred at the time (work promotion). Not sure that’s why they fixed it for me and not you.

It’s happened to me a few times now. They change the flight by like 5 minutes. This also makes it hard because you can’t even use the change screen to see if the prices went down. Now I have to start recording how much each leg costs since the receipts only ever show total so I can tell if it’s even worth calling.

meeshe
Explorer C

Exactly.  I'm sure I could call but it's not that big of a difference.  It's so nice when you can just pop online and do it!

bec102896
Aviator A

I wish in the case of schedule changes they allow you to accept the change so you can manage your reservation like normal I have expressed my feedback to Southwest about this new way of dealing with schedule changes 

speaking of schedule changes I wonder if they are going to do that mass set of changes again for March/April like they did for Jan/Feb back in November 

shivam34az
Explorer C

Yes I think that must be it. These too were "modified" by SW. I don't understand why this would prevent us from taking advantage of the lower fares, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Thank you for responding!

9apps apk