Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Picked a wrong flight

Anxiety-Filled
Explorer C

I meant to click round trip but i accidentally selected the one-way.. and when i was trying to change it to round trip, it cancelled my flight

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Picked a wrong flight

Anxiety-Filled
Explorer C

It didnt send me a confirmation email either 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Anxiety-Filled wrote:

I meant to click round trip but i accidentally selected the one-way.. and when i was trying to change it to round trip, it cancelled my flight

Hello!

Since Southwest does not charge any change or cancellation fees, you should still be AOK. I would start the booking process over by cancelling any "leftover" trips from the itinerary that was booked in error. You'll get full flight credit back. You can use then use flight credit toward rebooking the itinerary as a Round Trip.

Keep in mind that there is no discount for booking Round Trip versus booking two One Ways; booking two one ways under two different confirmation numbers returns the same cost as booking Round Trip and is permitted as long it does not generate a conflict (it also has the 'benefit' of your points posting to your Rapid Rewards account after the first leg is completed). The only drawback of this approach is if Southwest changes its flight schedule, issues a weather advisory, or there's a flight disruption that allows for a +/- 14 day  rebooking window without any difference in fare, my understanding is that the change can only be made to the one way leg of the impacted itinerary whereas both legs can be changed under a Round Trip booking.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Anxiety-Filled wrote:

The only drawback of this approach is if Southwest changes its flight schedule, issues a weather advisory, or there's a flight disruption that allows for a +/- 14 day  rebooking window without any difference in fare, my understanding is that the change can only be made to the one way leg of the impacted itinerary whereas both legs can be changed under a Round Trip booking.

Not that they may not allow a change, but it won't be automatic in the system and you'll have to call and explain yourself. In some cases they may still allow it but it won't be guaranteed in the same way, and you won't be able to self-service it online.

But yes - just book another one-way, in general it's a good approach no need to rebook the flight as a return trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.