Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same day change to extend layover - A-List

Melissakc
Explorer C

I am traveling from ABQ to BWI for work on the first flight of the day, which has a 2 hour layover in AUS (so ABQ to AUS to BWI). My fiancé lives in AUS and I would like to use the same day change benefit to take the last flight of the day from AUS to BWI to spend the day with him. Assuming a later flight still has a seat available on the same day, will this be possible to keep my same flight from ABQ to AUS and then change to a later flight from AUS to BWI using same day change policy? (To clarify, it is booked as a layover, not as two one-ways, whereby a same day change would have been simple to make for AUS to BWI.) Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Same day change to extend layover - A-List

dfwskier
Aviator A

I don't think you can do that.

If you booked a flight with a connection in AUS, then the same day change would apply to the entire flight. You can;t change just the second flight.

Now if you had booked it as two one ways, then you could change the AUS/BWI component

bec102896
Aviator A

When searching ABQ to BWI are there any other AUS connection toons with a longer layover I have seen that before one example I can go COS-DEN-AUS on Monday with a short 1 hour 20min layover or a 3 hour layover both leave at 5:40pm just the connection is longer but the flight is still what they called a “married flight” 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

When searching ABQ to BWI are there any other AUS connection toons with a longer layover I have seen that before one example I can go COS-DEN-AUS on Monday with a short 1 hour 20min layover or a 3 hour layover both leave at 5:40pm just the connection is longer but the flight is still what they called a “married flight” 

Agreed, only if there is a start to finish option that includes a longer layover, which Southwest generally limits to 4 hours with some exceptions - so it would be unlikely to find a really long layover between AUS and BWI for instance. 

How are the prices these days? Just change ABQ to BWI to be a ABQ to AUS, and then if the price is low use any travel funds and probably some extra cash to buy the later AUS-BWI leg.

Otherwise you can ask in person to bump backwards - the desk may or may not be able to do that for you. Maybe they have leeway if the earlier flight is full and they want your seat, but that would be hard to plan since it would happen that day.

But as @dfwskier mentioned earlier you can only choose from the same-day options for the whole ticket if you self service this change. 

Use @bec102896 's method to try and find a longer layover is you can make a combination that's a bit roundabout. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Melissakc
Explorer C
Solution

Update: I called SW the night before and they weren't able to make a change due to the original flight being the only one with a less than 4h layover in AUS. So, when I landed in AUS, I asked a gate agent to move me to a later flight. They saw some other options, but only leaving 3 hours later with then two stops between AUS and BWI (yuck!). The agent then called her manager and was able to switch me to a later flight by breaking the reservation! I spent a wonderful day in AUS with my fiancé. Thank you SW!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Glad it worked out, I know it isn't ideal waiting to ask in person in case they say "no" but they can do much more for you than the phone operators that have to stick to the script a little more closely.

Sounds like a great day, and congrats!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.