Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Understanding about LUV Vouchers and Travel Credits

kcoelho27
Explorer C

I have 4 separate $50 LUV vouchers, that state that they expire on 12/25/23.  Apparently you must TRAVEL by this time too or you forfeit these vouchers.

I understand there is a way to do a workaround to use these LUV vouchers, but then immediately cancel your booking, and they go back to you as travel vouchers/credits (different than LUV vouchers)?

Can someone explain to me:

1) how do I do this?

2) does the expiration date of the refunded voucher/credits get pushed out beyond the original 12/25/23 date of the LUV vouchers so they could be used in 2024?

I don't want to be forced to use these LUV vouchers and be forced to complete my travel by 12/25/23, but rather apply this aggregate $200 worth of credit to something AFTER 12/25/23.  Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Understanding about LUV Vouchers and Travel Credits

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@kcoelho27 wrote:

I have 4 separate $50 LUV vouchers, that state that they expire on 12/25/23.  Apparently you must TRAVEL by this time too or you forfeit these vouchers.

I understand there is a way to do a workaround to use these LUV vouchers, but then immediately cancel your booking, and they go back to you as travel vouchers/credits (different than LUV vouchers)?

Can someone explain to me:

1) how do I do this?

2) does the expiration date of the refunded voucher/credits get pushed out beyond the original 12/25/23 date of the LUV vouchers so they could be used in 2024?

I don't want to be forced to use these LUV vouchers and be forced to complete my travel by 12/25/23, but rather apply this aggregate $200 worth of credit to something AFTER 12/25/23.  Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Use the vouchers to book a flight between now and their expiration. When you cancel that flight the funds will be turned into a Travel Credit. 

Travel Credit doesn't expire, however it will be associated with the name of the passenger, so the downside here is that a voucher can be used for anyone but once you have Travel Credit instead it can only be used for the person who was named on the ticket. (There's a different WGA+ workaround for that if needed.)

Travel Credits don't expire under the current policy so you should be good. 

Just make sure whoever is going to use the travel credit next year (or whenever) is the person that you book the ticket in their name.

You might need to either add a few bucks if you find a suitable flight that's just a little bit over or else forgo a few bucks if you find one that's a little under.

The vouchers are not "transferrable" but if you have friends or family that are flying earlier you could also have them give you the $200 and use them on your behalf. The vouchers are still in your name, so I'd say they aren't "transferred" I'm not 100% on that but it might be an option, especially with a family member or trusted friend. I wouldn't do this to someone you don't know, too much chance of fraud.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Understanding about LUV Vouchers and Travel Credits

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

You will only be able to use 2 vouchers plus a credit card for the reservation. Vouchers don’t cover taxes so in your case find a flight costing about $130 apply the 2 $50 vouchers pay the tax. When you then go to cancel the flight request the taxes be refunded to credit card (since that is refundable within 24 hours of booking) 

next repeat one more time with voucher 3 and 4 once you cancel that you can use the 2 confirmation numbers to apply anytime you want later on and you technically got out of the taxes this way as well if you end up booking a $200 ticket later on of course if the price is higher than your 2 travel funds you would just pay the difference by credit card since you can only have 3 forms of payment on a reservation.