Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Little Toe in Knoxville Please

KnoxvilleFlyer
Explorer C

I moved from Nashville (BNA) to Knoxville (TYS) Haven't flown Southwest since. I just wonder why Southwest doesn't do a gate deal in Knoxville and have a BNA shuttle. One flight a day to start.

The Smokey Mountain National Park is the most visited park in the U.S. The Big Ears Music Festival sells out the entire city each March. Other Southwest frequent flyers are moving into Knoxville in droves and switching to Delta or American. Companies are also moving here due to friendly tax environment.

A shuttle system TYS to BNA would be full both with flyers originating from Knoxville and those visiting Knoxville.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Southwest Little Toe in Knoxville Please

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@KnoxvilleFlyer wrote:

I moved from Nashville (BNA) to Knoxville (TYS) Haven't flown Southwest since. I just wonder why Southwest doesn't do a gate deal in Knoxville and have a BNA shuttle. One flight a day to start.

The Smokey Mountain National Park is the most visited park in the U.S. The Big Ears Music Festival sells out the entire city each March. Other Southwest frequent flyers are moving into Knoxville in droves and switching to Delta or American. Companies are also moving here due to friendly tax environment.

A shuttle system TYS to BNA would be full both with flyers originating from Knoxville and those visiting Knoxville.

Hello-

It appears you're not alone! This customer-to-customer message board has been getting requests for Southwest to serve TYS Tyson Airport in Knoxville. I can only speculate that limitations at the TYS may be the main obstacle. 

Not sure what kinds of public inter-city ground transportation options are out there in the Volunteer State in between Knoxville and Nashville or what public ground transportation options are available for TYS. LA for example has numerous Amtrak trains, regional trains (Metrolink), and inter-city bus routes (Greyhound) that serve Los Angeles Union Station; the nonstop Flyaway express bus service feeds these passengers from the train depot to each terminal at LAX. Maybe this might be the best option for TYS until the limitations are addressed.

It's possible that Southwest may be able to partner up or contract with a ground carrier or shuttle service as American Airlines is currently doing this (looks like the bus service is contracted through the Landline airport shuttle company)--worth checking.

I would forward your request in an e-mail or Twitter/X DM to Southwest Customer Service:

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/
https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir

KnoxvilleFlyer
Explorer C

Interesting. The BNA hub is nice and loaded with connections to anywhere. American also flies direct from TYS to Charlotte, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, New York LGA, etc., skipping BNA. I think I would rather sit in an airport lounge in BNA that on a bus for 3 hours. I am surprised American or Delta have not put in a shuttle flight to BNA. I guess they want to support Charlotte, ATL, etc.? Southwest has an opportunity here, even if it was not daily.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@KnoxvilleFlyer wrote:

I think I would rather sit in an airport lounge in BNA that on a bus for 3 hours.

There is currently only a Minute Suites, but hopefully the expansions will provide space for another lounge in the near future. 

However the airport is very pleasant, the new T gates are beautiful and spacious, the D gates have some new restaurants (and the minute suites), many of the restaurants down the C gates have live music and it is one of my favorite airports for a connection even without a lounge.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Since Southwest is officially making Nashville a crew base this year, there may actually be capacity for them to add flights to Knoxville. All of Southwest's "shuttle" flights are from crew bases, so maybe they've been holding off. It may not be immediate, but maybe within 5 years. It's been requested so many times, I don't see why they wouldn't. There are crew and plane scheduling restraints which would have make sense, but as I said with Nashville coming online as a crew base, those restraints should be alleviated. I could definitely see service to Nashville, Baltimore, maybe Chicago. Then possible seasonal service to Dallas or Denver.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

floridaguy
Aviator C

This subject has been previously discussed.  Southwest currently has NO INTEREST in Knoxville.  While the Great Smoky Mountain National Park might be the most visited, it is done so by people within a couple hundred mile radius.  

Even after the Knoxville airport spent MILLIONS in renovations trying to lure Southwest, they said "meh" and moved on.

No Southwest for Knoxville in the future plans, as of now.  

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

@floridaguy wrote:

This subject has been previously discussed.  Southwest currently has NO INTEREST in Knoxville.  While the Great Smoky Mountain National Park might be the most visited, it is done so by people within a couple hundred mile radius.  

Even after the Knoxville airport spent MILLIONS in renovations trying to lure Southwest, they said "meh" and moved on.

No Southwest for Knoxville in the future plans, as of now.  

Bruh, you don't work for Southwest. Stop making these replies like it's the objective truth. I don't see any official statement from Southwest indicating they will never serve Knoxville. Chill out and let people share their SUBJECTIVE thoughts and experiences. If they want Southwest to fly to Knoxville, they have the freedom to say so. You also have freedom to give your SUBJECTIVE feedback on why you think it won't happen. But please, DO NOT leave replies rejecting suggestions as if you have the OBJECTIVE truth because you don't. Southwest is constantly evaluating the market and if there's enough demand, they'll likely add the route or new city, even if that city is Knoxville. Why are you so vehemently against Knoxville service by Southwest anyway?

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

A lot more potential here than LNK:

DancingDavidE_0-1704480390433.png

However still quite a bit less than what I consider to be one of the smaller Southwest stations at Pensacola PNS. 

DancingDavidE_1-1704480617332.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Bruh, this whole discussion came up a few months ago and I took it on as a research project.  At that time, Southwest had NO INTEREST in Knoxville and I even spoke, at length, with the general manager of McGhee Tyson airport.  

Despite tossing millions of dollars into renovation, Southwest shrugged and walked away.

No Knoxville in the near future.  Not busy enough and not enough traffic.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Bruh, this whole discussion came up a few months ago and I took it on as a research project.  At that time, Southwest had NO INTEREST in Knoxville and I even spoke, at length, with the general manager of McGhee Tyson airport.  

Despite tossing millions of dollars into renovation, Southwest shrugged and walked away.

No Knoxville in the near future.  Not busy enough and not enough traffic.

A lot can change in a few months