Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest, PLEASE fly to Elmira Corning Ithaca!!

JenCo
Explorer C

How many of you all fly NOT to the City when you fly to New York? 

Southwest really really needs to put 1 or 2 flights per day (per week?) to Elmira/Corning NY or Ithaca NY.  Even just connectors would be ideal.  

There is a huge "hole" of untapped potential - Southwest could offer ELM or Ithaca connections to/from Pittsburgh, Philly, Rochester, Syracuse, and even farther like Baltimore or LaGuardia.  

This area (the Finger Lakes Region) netted $4 Billion in tourism in 2022.  Isn't that enough to spark some interest?  

There is virtually zero competition right now.  Delta only offers, like, two flights per day and they way overcharge for it... again, because there is no competition.  The area around Elmira Corning Regional Airport has grown substantially (take a look at Big Flats NY, Horseheads NY and Corning NY). Retail has grown significantly. And we all know retail doesn't grow unless there is a population to support it.  Come on, now, Southwest, get your loyal travelers to Upstate New York!!  Who's with me?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Southwest, PLEASE fly to Elmira Corning Ithaca!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Since this is a customer forum,You are not talking to Southwest here. If you'd like to see service, you could request it by disucssing directly with SW. to do so, click on "contact us" below, and proceed.

In the meantime Syracuse and Rochester don't seem to be terrible drives.

JenCo
Explorer C

I posted on the forum only to garner interest.  I know I can't be the only one who dreads booking with another carrier because SW doesn't offer flights where I need to go.  I already contacted Southwest directly.  

P.S., Syracuse and Rochester are LONG drives in my opinion.  But then again, I am spoiled by having had Love Field in my backyard for so many years.  ha!  

Stay warm!

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As noted this a customer to customer forum, but if demand for Delta to fly in is only 2 flights a day into this airport/region, it does not really sound like there is enough demand?

As a business, at least for myself, we've historically opened locations based on 3 criteria:

-Density of opportunities- is there enough work there?

-Network Integration- How will it fit into other current operational locations we operate?

-Competition- what is the competitive environment?

I doubt Corning/Ithaca fit any of these criteria much less all 3, but that's just me

Either way contact SWA directly and have safe travels

JenCo
Explorer C

I cannot speak for Ithaca, but... Cornell is in Ithaca.  Just saying.  

Also, network integration... Corning/Elmira/Horseheads/BigFlats is a SW Air desert.  Look at the SW destinations map.  Untouched territory that could be an easy connector to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, Detroit, etc.

Competition ... again, Delta charges a premium to fly into ELM because they have zero competition, and as far as I'm concerned, Allegiant doesn't count as competition.  Southwest oughtta add a few flights, at least to test out the market.  Hey, a girl can dream, right?  LOL   

Stay warm!