Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

To: SWA CEO

Darellgolden11
Explorer C

Now, that the merger between JetBlue and Spirit was not approved, and those two airlines are struggling to survive, it is the right time for a BIG return to EWR. Customers can't wait anymore. Just LGA is not enough for such of airline. Come back to business Southwest. Come back to EWR. this is the right time! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: To: SWA CEO

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Darellgolden11 wrote:

Now, that the merger between JetBlue and Spirit was not approved, and those two airlines are struggling to survive, it is the right time for a BIG return to EWR. Customers can't wait anymore. Just LGA is not enough for such of airline. Come back to business Southwest. Come back to EWR. this is the right time! 

Hello! Since this is a customer-to-customer forum, I would submit your request directly to Southwest:

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

I was reading that the market at EWR was very tough on SW specifically and that LGA turned out to be a better location for Southwest to operate for the NYC-area market. I'm speculating that SW had to muscle in a bunch of resources to operate at EWR but the return-on-investment was not good in comparison to operating at LGA but I could be wrong. Spirit has taken a bunch of the open slots there and I do think that bringing the LUV airline back to EWR would require some high-level negotiations in my opinion. 

Since Spirit's reputation is not the best due to its fees, not sure how it will perform at EWR as a SW "replacement". For now, I would explore the shared-shuttle options from NJ-side of the Hudson to LGA to see if any of these can feed you into LGA as alternates. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Definitely hope SWA comes back to EWR! 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Darellgolden11 wrote:

Hello! Since this is a customer-to-customer forum, I would submit your request directly to Southwest:

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

I was reading that the market at EWR was very tough on SW specifically and that LGA turned out to be a better location for Southwest to operate for the NYC-area market. I'm speculating that SW had to muscle in a bunch of resources to operate at EWR but the return-on-investment was not good in comparison to operating at LGA but I could be wrong. Spirit has taken a bunch of the open slots there and I do think that bringing the LUV airline back to EWR would require some high-level negotiations in my opinion. 

Here is a great write-up from Cranky Flier. In a nutshell (and my interpretation) the Southwest passenger is looking for low fares and they just weren't competitive to business travel from EWR to the west coast and had trouble with most routes other than going head to head with United to Chicago (which they were winning).

https://crankyflier.com/2019/08/01/why-southwest-is-leaving-newark/

One point he makes is great which is that people from the rest of the country feeding into EWR don't see it as "NYC" to start with. It's actually quite easy if you are taking public transit but people looking at driving into NYC or taking a taxi would look to LGA instead.

It'll be fine in the short term but eventually Southwest will be wishing they could get that EWR/MDW/ORD route back into place.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Just like Knoxville Tennessee, SWA has no interest in those locations, either.