Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What are your quick connection hacks?

CarlyeThornton
Employee
Employee

Sometimes connecting flights comes with short layovers (the shortest I’ve accomplished is 30 minutes at SMF!). What is your best advice for managing those tight turns?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What are your quick connection hacks?

dfwskier
Aviator A

That one's easy -- take a seat as near the front of the bus as possible. If that means  a center seat, so be it - especially if your connection boarding position is an A and the connection     is to a long flight -- like Hawaii.

If you happen to have a C boarding position on the connection, it makes less difference.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CarlyeThornton wrote:
Sometimes connecting flights comes with short layovers (the shortest I’ve acco...

@CarlyeThornton

I use my spidey-sense but others can ask the FA - use the lavatory as you are beginning the descent into the connection airport so that you don't need to stop along the way to the next gate. Don't wait too long and get the dreaded seatbelt sign. Right when you hear the engines back off and a slight change in attitude you have about one minute.

If you know if advance the connection will be tight then bring some food/snacks with you on the earlier leg so you don't have to stop in the concourse.

Check out the concourse maps so you know which way to go and if you will try any strategic stops along the way.

Know if you are on the last trip of the day between the two airports - it won't change the result which is that in most cases you'll make it - but the stress of achieving that will be a little less if you know there's a backup.

Try to take a video when they call your name over the intercom as you run down the concourse, it'll make a funny story later to your friends (if you make it).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I’ve made a 11min connection from gate 5 to gate 50 in HOU I hope to never do that again I was in row 9 on the first flight and we had a delay getting to our gate which made the connection short I now try to avoid connecting flights with less than an hour because I don’t feel like doing that hike again running style 😂

sitting in The front if I know the connection will be short is the main thing I do. Carry on bag for short schedule connections is also a must in my book because even a slight delay could lead to a checked bag missing the flight and causing a mess go get my bag. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I’ve made a 11min connection from gate 5 to gate 50 in HOU I hope to never do that again I was in row 9 on the first flight and we had a delay getting to our gate which made the connection short I now try to avoid connecting flights with less than an hour because I don’t feel like doing that hike again running style 😂

sitting in The front if I know the connection will be short is the main thing I do. Carry on bag for short schedule connections is also a must in my book because even a slight delay could lead to a checked bag missing the flight and causing a mess go get my bag. 

I'm a 2-hour guy, give me time to sit down for lunch somewhere.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jasminealley
Explorer B

I completely agree that sitting close to the front of the plane is key! Being one of the first people to exit the plane will save so much time! If you want to make sure you get an early boarding position, set an alarm to remind yourself to check in exactly on time, and if you still don’t get an A Group, you can always pay to upgrade.
You can also check your bag so that you don’t need to potentially run through the airport while lugging a suitcase! Checking your bag also makes it so that you can ride in the very front row if there’s a seat available.