Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Need clarification on my application

JJR737
Explorer C

I've been eyeing the ramp position at BWI like a hawk and it finally popped up last night. I immediately applied and thoroughly answered everything knowing I met the requirements. I woke up to an email today stating I did not meet minimum requirements. The only thing I can think of is not being a current resident of MD, however the application never stated this as a requirement. I am going to be moving from Virginia to a place right next to BWI within the next month or two and was hoping to apply to have a chance at my dream job by the time I'm settled in. Was this really the reason? Is it possible to reapply once I am a resident or do I have to wait a year again? If the residency requirement was in the listing I would have waited to not mess up my chance to be a part of the SWA family.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Need clarification on my application

danielvest00
Adventurer C

I am sorry that your application was rejected. I have mentioned this to SWA a few times. Some jobs do, but for many jobs nowhere in the job description does it mention that you must be a resident of the state to be considered. One must fill out the entire application, then with the last question, be asked if you are a resident of that particular state (but still doesn't state if this is in fact a necessity for consideration). I feel that SWA could easily remedy this confusion for applicants. Perhaps @adrienneb can assist? Good luck!

JJR737
Explorer C

Thank you 🙂 And yes, that truly is my only gripe. I'd have taken the rejection just fine otherwise as that's just how things go sometimes. But an important detail like residency requirements need to be clearly stated in the job listing/application for sure. I am just worried that not knowing this is going to have me waiting another year for another shot at it (I still need an answer for this as well).

adrienneb
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hey, @JJR737. I appreciate your post and interest in joining our Southwest Family in Baltimore! I took a closer look, and the Baltimore Ramp Agent (R-2024-40639) does have "This job is currently open to applicants who live in the State of Maryland." included in the job description. 

You answered "no" to the application question, "Are you currently a resident of the State of Maryland?", and this automatically removed your application from consideration. So sorry for any confusion or disappointment there! 

Thanks for the tag, @danielvest00!

JJR737
Explorer C

Oh goodness. My excitement must have had me completely skim over that one. What a doozy on my behalf! Thanks for getting back to me though! Do I have to wait a year to reapply again or am I okay to try again when the position opens up again and I have made my move to the state?