Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Armrest infraction

qazza
Explorer C

Checked into both flights as soon as able… got mid-C boarding pass. No biggie, I’m 5’2, average size, so middle seats don’t typically bother me. Our flight was delayed 2.5 hours, taking off close to midnight. Our C group was told (loudly) “this is a full flight, don’t pass up any empty seat, you’re just delaying the flight even more”. So I sat in the first open (middle) seat. I got my headphones and purse settled, then looked for my seat belt. It was UNDER the lady beside me. She also had pulled the armrest up, because she didn’t fit in the seat. She apologized, and I said “it’s ok”. But it wasn’t. The person on the other side was also very large, so took that arm rest. I couldn’t even put my computer on the tray because there was no room for my arms!! It was so hot, I was miserable. I couldn’t move! I did feel awful for the lady beside me, but isn’t there some sort of policy that if you can’t fit in the seat with the arm rest down, you have to buy 2 seats?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Armrest infraction

05bardic
Frequent Flyer C

Yes, there is a policy for that and she wouldn't have even have to come out of pocket for it. She should have purchased it in advance so that the airline could plan for the extra seat, and they would have refunded her for the second seat after the flight. Here's the full policy:

What is your policy for Customers of size?

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; the width of the narrowest and widest passenger seats (in inches) is available on our Flying Southwest page . The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification of a special seating need and allows us to adequately plan for the number of occupied seats onboard . It also helps us ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. If you prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance , you have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing your seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. If it’s determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, you’ll be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat.

Re: Armrest infraction

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Clarifying that the policy is available but no one is forced to do this, I’m not sure what the FA would do if they saw someone that needed even more room than what you are describing.

Next time don’t take that middle, there is almost always one somewhere in the plane and the worst case is that you end up back at this one in the end having delayed the flight one extra minute. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.