Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can SW take my person of size seat on a full flight?

qedded
Explorer C

I’m big, but I’ve lost 30 pounds since booking this flight, still big though. 390 lbs.
Booked flight 2 months ago. Did person of size ticket. Outgoing flight was fine. Heading back home now and they said flight is full but I assumed that factored my extra seat. I even had the reserved boarding pass. Now a woman is sitting next to me and my recently operated on arm has gone numb and is falling asleep. I’m also 6’1.

Again, sorry for being big, but I’m working on it.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can SW take my person of size seat on a full flight?

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

Hello-

As a fellow traveler, sorry to hear this happened. It looks like you went through the proper process and got your Seat Reserved document. By rule, the extra seat belongs to you. The document should be placed on the adjoining seat to ensure that it does not get taken. If you placed the slip on the seat and the flight crew had somebody else sit there despite the fact that is was marked as reserved, it's possible there may have been an exception to policy.

SW's policy is to ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/extra-seat-policy

If that's the case, I would give Customer Service an email or DM to SW via Twitter/X.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Follow SoCalFlyer97 after the SW Community Forums Closes:
The SW Community Forums will be retiring effective 9/16; see the official announcement in the headers. SoCalFlyer97 will be on FlyerTalk's Southwest Airlines Forum to answer traveler questions going forward and plans to publish future Trip Reports there in their Trip Report forum. Also currently on TripAdvisor and Twitter/X under the same name. See you there!

shongdo5
Explorer C

I know it’s hard, but do your best to have the confidence and determination that you can do it. And one day at a time. Baby steps, small goals, small wins. The fact that you lost 30 lbs is really amazing! Keep going!!! We have faith in you

Dgmeinsider
Explorer C

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your flight. If you booked a person of size seat and were assured an extra seat, the airline should honor that reservation. If the flight is full and there’s a problem with seating, it’s crucial to address it with the airline staff immediately. Explain your situation and show your boarding pass with the reserved extra seat. They should be able to assist you or find a solution, such as reassigning seats or arranging for you to be more comfortable. If the issue persists, consider contacting the airline’s customer service for further assistance.