Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Car Seat Bag Size Question

luxe22
Explorer C

I have a flight coming up in the next few weeks. I purchased this bag off of Amazon and realized that the dimensions may be too big: https://a.co/d/ekbkG4M

This bag is 18x19x29. I can still return it and get a different bag that is meets the size requirements.

Will Southwest’s car seat bag be able to fit a car seat and base? If not, does anyone have any car seat bag recommendations?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Car Seat Bag Size Question

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@luxe22 wrote:
I have a flight coming up in the next few weeks. I purchased this bag off of Amazon an...

This bag is 18x19x29. I can still return it and get a different bag that is meets the size requirements.

Will Southwest’s car seat bag be able to fit a car seat and base? If not, does anyone have any car seat bag recommendations?

Are you trying to carry it on the airplane? You can bring an FAA approved car seat onboard and then this bag would collapse without the car seat in it, but it would count as your personal item for underseat storage without the car seat in it. If you aren't actively using the car seat I think you have to gate check it.

This will be fine for gate checking. Also per the mfg info:

• Gate Check All Your Baggage Worries - Our universal infant car seat travel bag for airplane, with lockable zippers, ID window and extra drawstring storage bag, is large enough to hold all your extra baby travel essentials for flying

Gate check often includes strollers that are larger than this, no problem for checking it.

They sell these at the ticket counter and at baggage services (we use these): https://www.swathestore.com/swathestore/Southwest-Stroller-Bag/p-SWA0456

@luxe22
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

luxe22
Explorer C

Hi @DancingDavidE,

I was hoping to check the car seat bag with the car seat in there. However, since the car seat bag I ordered is too big, I will return it and purchase the Southwest stroller bag when I arrive at the airport.

I greatly appreciate your quick response and all of your help!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@luxe22 wrote:

Hi @DancingDavidE,

I was hoping to check the car seat bag with the car seat in there. However, since the car seat bag I ordered is too big, I will return it and purchase the Southwest stroller bag when I arrive at the airport.

I greatly appreciate your quick response and all of your help!

The one you have is fine for checking - it is only too big as a carryon.

The Southwest blue bags are huge - 80 linear inches, the baby gear is an exception to the 62" requirement for checked bags.

luxe22
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE 
Thank you so much for clarifying! I was not aware that baby gear is an exception to the checked bag size policy.

I apologize for the confusion in my initial post- I'll be sure to add as much detail as I can in the future! 🙂

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@luxe22 wrote:

@DancingDavidE 
Thank you so much for clarifying! I was not aware that baby gear is an exception to the checked bag size policy.

I apologize for the confusion in my initial post- I'll be sure to add as much detail as I can in the future! 🙂

No worries - the main distinction was were you planning to take it into the cabin (no) in which case it is all good.