Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Car seats

allisonxo
Explorer C

Does anyone know if the Graco Extend 2 fit 2-in-1 would fit? I’m traveling for a 1 day trip with my almost 3 year old and would prefer taking her car seat and installing on the plane as that’s safest but I’m unsure if it will be too wide. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Car seats

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

Kudos to you for keeping your child safe!

First...check the back (upper left) of the car seat to be sure there is a FAA sticker on it.  I'm sure there is, but just double-check.

From SWA site:

To make sure your CRS will fit properly when you’re onboard, check the widths of the narrowest and widest passenger seats*.  When booking travel, click on the hyperlinked flight number to find the aircraft series size for a specific flight. While we try our best to utilize the originally scheduled aircraft type for your journey, operational circumstances may result in a swap to an aircraft with different seat dimensions.

Here is the link to SWA's seat width per aircraft:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/airplane-specifications?clk=HC_Family_2664_Passen...

This car seat is wider than most...at 20 inches.  It should fit if you put the armrest up between you and the car seat.  Be sure to install it only in the window or middle seat.  It cannot be placed in the aisle seat.  If you choose to install it in the middle seat, you cannot raise the armrest between the middle and other unoccupied seat, infringing on that passenger's space.  In my opinion, you will have a better fit placing the car seat in the middle and raising the armrest only between the two of you.

Safe travels!

allisonxo
Explorer C

Thank you so much for this information! I believe her car seat is FAA approved but I will double check the next time we go out. Since her dad will be with us I don’t think I have to worry about not being able to put both arm rests up but will still most likely put her by the window since that seems to be easiest. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@allisonxo wrote:

Does anyone know if the Graco Extend 2 fit 2-in-1 would fit? I’m traveling for a 1 day trip with my almost 3 year old and would prefer taking her car seat and installing on the plane as that’s safest but I’m unsure if it will be too wide. 

Especially if you put the car seat in the window you'll want to be maybe towards the middle of the aircraft, you get a little extra room there compared to the front and back sections.

If kiddo will be flying often you may consider a safety harness - there's only one approved option:

https://www.amsafe.com/kidsflysafe-com/

This may help on-board while allowing you to check the car seat. I had one kiddo that loved it and the second kiddo went straight to lap belt. Ants-in-his-pants couldn't stay in the harness.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Really refreshing to see some one concerned about the safety of their child while flying. Kuddos to you and have a safe trip!