Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry-on dilemma

sdover1966
Explorer C

I have not flown for several years but I have recently taken a job that will require me to fly several times a year. I have 2 trips already planned for Texas and California. Because of my time away from traveling, I am going to have to purchase luggage for my trips. 

My issue is with the carry-on size guidelines. Southwest says bags must be 26"x16"x10". How closely does SWA stick to those numbers? I have found several carry-on bags that will fit every dimension except the height requirements. The bags I like the most are either 11" or 12" high. 

I have read that as long as the total dimensions are less than 51 inches (LxWxH) it would be ok. But not according to the numbers listed by SWA. I know if the operations agent doesn't measure the bag I'll be ok on the plane. But I do not want to check bags for this trip. 

Any advise or experience would be appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Carry-on dilemma

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

As you stated, the policy reads:

Your carryon can be no bigger than 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). If it’s bigger than those dimensions, it will need to be checked.

I tend to take these measurement to heart because I don't want my luggage inadvertently gate-checked when it isn't packed for that type of "movement."  That being said, I have never had my carry-on measured.  When my bag is full, it approaches an 11" measurement.  However, it is soft-sided...and therefore, "squishy."  Interestingly, it was very full last week (probably close to 12 inches) and wouldn't push entirely back in the overhead storage.  I was so embarrassed.  Don't be me 😉.  Out came my puffer jacket from the outer pocket...and it fit.

Go with soft-sided, don't overpack the outer pockets, and you will probably be fine.

Congratulations on the new job.  Safe travels!

floridaguy
Aviator C

In recent flights, Southwest is seriously "cracking down" on family boarding, number of carry on items and size of carry on items. 

Check the bags and forget it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sdover1966 wrote:

I have not flown for several years but I have recently taken a job that will require me to fly several times a year. I have 2 trips already planned for Texas and California. Because of my time away from traveling, I am going to have to purchase luggage for my trips. 

My issue is with the carry-on size guidelines. Southwest says bags must be 26"x16"x10". How closely does SWA stick to those numbers? I have found several carry-on bags that will fit every dimension except the height requirements. The bags I like the most are either 11" or 12" high. 

I have read that as long as the total dimensions are less than 51 inches (LxWxH) it would be ok. But not according to the numbers listed by SWA. I know if the operations agent doesn't measure the bag I'll be ok on the plane. But I do not want to check bags for this trip. 

Any advise or experience would be appreciated. 

Agree with @tappingmom1 

Also you can help yourself out a little bit:

• The bins at the very front of the aircraft and towards the rear are a little smaller due to the curvature of the aircraft body, if you have any question about it fitting go to the middle of the plane.
  • I don't expect you to be bounced at the gate being one inch too tall and meeting the other dimensions - the issue will be if you get on-board and then it doesn't fit. The gate agent will be scanning people for luggage that is obviously meant to be checked.
  • If the luggage advertiser promotes it as carry-on it will likely fit. Southwest flies only 737's and so the other airlines are much more restrictive if you end up on a regional jet. Depth is the most critical at 22"

I hope that helps, feel free to post a link to the item online if you have any further doubts.

Here's one example - the first bag that came up at Target as a carryon is fine. 

Hardside Carry On Spinner Suitcase - Open Story™ : Target

The next two also are good - if it says "Carry On" in the name it should be fine for a 737.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sdover1966
Explorer C

Great info @DancingDavidE , thanks. I had not thought about the bins in the middle being a tad larger than the ones in front or back but it makes sense. 

3 of my 4 flights are on the 737-700 and their bins are smaller than the 737-800 so every inch will matter for sure. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sdover1966 wrote:

Great info @DancingDavidE , thanks. I had not thought about the bins in the middle being a tad larger than the ones in front or back but it makes sense. 

3 of my 4 flights are on the 737-700 and their bins are smaller than the 737-800 so every inch will matter for sure. 

Good point on the 800/Max vs the 700's. The bins are a bit larger overall on the newer aircraft.

Some of the Max are even having new larger bins that fit the luggage on it's side in the 10" dimension instead of the 16" dimension so you can get six bags in an overhead compartment vs four in the standard configuration laying flat. (height is still the same) if you have one of those then the 10" vs 12" would be fine as well.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Luggage with wheels needs to be checked.  Carrying it on the plane is a pain for everyone.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@floridaguy wrote, "Luggage with wheels needs to be checked."

That is simply not true.

Luggage with wheels that meets the carryon size restriction is welcome on board.

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is nothing but a mess during boarding.  The intent is small personal carry on items, not something to heavy that you need wheels.