Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

College trunk policy

YAMI1958
Explorer C

Would this be considered 1 bag or 2??? If  it weighs 100 pds what would charge be going to take it to my grandaughter college1000034681.jpgds 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: College trunk policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

One bag will  never count as 2.

SW policy says bags exceeding 62 inches (l+h+w) incur an oversize bag fee of $125. Yours is 64 inches. Yours is close enough to the limit that an attendant might -- repeat might -- overlook it. But don;t count on that.

Policy on bag weight is bags that weigh 51-70 pounds incur a fee of $100. Bags that weight 

71-100 pounds incur a fee of $125. Bags over 100 pounds are not allwed

I think my advice to you would be  to find two smaller bags to travel with.

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@YAMI1958 wrote:

Would this be considered 1 bag or 2??? If  it weighs 100 pds what would charge be going to take it to my grandaughter collegeds 

Hello:

This would be considered 1 of your 2 allowed checked bags but it would be subject to both the overweight and over-size charge based on what you provided.

Southwest's standard baggage allowance per checked bag is 50lbs and 62 inches in size (length + width + height)

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/checked-baggage-policy

The trunk in question is labeled as 32"l x 18"w x 14"h = 64" Total, subject to the over-size charge.

You mentioned a 100lbs weight which is the max allowed for checked baggage and subject to the overweight charge.

Optional Charges:
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/travel-fees.html

Oversize Charge: $125 per bag larger than 62 inches up to 80 inches
Overweight Checked Bag: $125 per bag (71-100 lbs.)
Total extra charge: $250

May be worth it to explore alternative shipping or freight options if able. Or if you don't have another bag to check, to use two standard luggage bags. Either way, if you elect to use the trunk, I would also purchase and pack the trunk in a Trunk Shipping Protector Bag to protect it against scratches/dings during transport.

Hope this helps.

05bardic
Frequent Flyer C

I looked up that trunk on Amazon and it says in the description "not to be used as airline luggage or a shipping container". If you haven't purchased it yet, my suggestion would be to have Amazon deliver it directly to your granddaughter's address, and then pack whatever you were going to fill it with into a regular suitcase that can be checked. Hope that helps!

05bardic_0-1720730315462.png

wkkunkle
Explorer B

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it would make it to the destination in one piece.  Luggage is thrown around by the airlines (not just Southwest) so using this as a suitcase is not only going to be expensive (all the charges for oversized luggage and overweight luggage), it would probably arrive damaged.

If you really want it to be sent with stuff in it (versus having it shipped to your granddaughter empty and then just taking the contents with you), maybe consider shipping via FedEx or UPS?  I put in the dimensions of the box from Amazon (probably be another inch or two with a packing box) and 100 lbs and it came out to $220 on FedEx to go from East Coast to West Coast with FedEx Ground.

Just an idea.

wkkunkle_0-1720740255578.png

RonaldBailey
Explorer C

You are right, I agree with you.