Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Does early bird transfer

sarahortiz90
Explorer C

Hello, 

I had my flight changed for 2 weeks after my originial date because my mother had a heart attack the night before our flight. Does anyone know if the early bird check in transfer to the next flight?

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Does early bird transfer

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

The answer is here:
https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/earlybird_checkin_faq.html
Scroll down to the last question.

Here's what it says in case you want to trust me instead of seeing the "official" answer.
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.09.54 AM.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

The answer is here:
https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/earlybird_checkin_faq.html
Scroll down to the last question.

Here's what it says in case you want to trust me instead of seeing the "official" answer.
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.09.54 AM.png

It says 25 hours there, but wouldn't it actually be 36 hours prior?

But yes, changes to a reservation would generally carry the EBCI with them, canceling and rebooking will not.

David

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

It says 25 hours there, but wouldn't it actually be 36 hours prior?

Good catch!

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

25 hours is correct. When the EB transfers, if the change is done to a flight at least 25 hours prior to departure, you would still get your boarding position before all those without EB because they can't get their boarding positions until they can check-in 24 hours prior to departure.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@basslaw2010 wrote:

25 hours is correct. When the EB transfers, if the change is done to a flight at least 25 hours prior to departure, you would still get your boarding position before all those without EB because they can't get their boarding positions until they can check-in 24 hours prior to departure.

I've always read that the positions are originally assigned at T-36 hours for A-list and EBCI...we all agree on that point.

I hadn't seen anything that said if a flight already assigned a position at 36 hours but was changed prior to 24 hours that you would get a new assigned position - could apply to A-list or EBCI.

I had definitely been under the impression that a change to a flight between 36 and 24 hours would forfeit either A-list or EBCI assignments on the old flight if the new flight was already within the assignment window. I guess you would still get the assignment if the new flight was also 36 hours out, but I hadn't seen where you'd keep the status as long as you were prior to 24 hours.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

While what the FAQ states is technically possible, I have been told by Customer Relations that any change within 36 hours of departure causes the loss of the assigned boarding position as well as automatic check in.

bec102896
Aviator A

While I'm not sure if it would transfer at 25 hours I do know that others may be checked in at that time if they have connections to your flight 

for example if passenger A is going from AUS to MCO with a connection in HOU they would have an earlier check in time than if you were just going HOU to MCO so if you changed your ticket to this flight at 25 hours before that departure you may be automatically checked in at that time but you would be behind everyone checked in including passenger A even if he didn't buy EB so you could still have a B or C. but I am not too sure on if you are automatically checked in as soon as the change is made to your ticket. I know they can't bump people to board later in the boarding process after they are checked in though so you would be at the end of the line of EB people at a minimum and anyone checked in from connections. 

My my best advice would be to check in at the 24 hour mark anyways if you can to see if it has the EB logo on your pass and if it did check you in or not. if that logo isn't on the boarding pass then you would have been regular check in. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

bhangad
Explorer C

Thanks @rtbarron for the proper reply. really appreciated.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bhangad wrote:

Thanks @rtbarron for the proper reply. really appreciated.

I'll put @rtbarron down for solution to the original poster's question - but I'm still not sure of the new question about changes to tickets with the new flight between 36-25 hours prior.

As far as I've ever heard, the EBCI and A-list position assignments aren't "re-run" after the 36 hour time and would have to check-in manually.

I don't know the technical obstacles that would keep them from re-running, obviously anyone with that EBCI would be at the end of the EBCI line with the others having already been checked in at 36 hours prior, but that would still be better than nothing.

At 25 hours prior you would also be behind connecting passengers who may have a 1-6 hour head start on you from checking in at their origination flight.

Having made a few last-minute changes before I believe I lost the A-list check-in, but now I don't remember if those were 25 hours prior changes, or less than 24 hour changes when I did that. I wouldn't have had EBCI either way.