Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expiring Passport - 6 Month Rule

FlyingRX
Explorer C

Please Help!! My daugher is flying to Cancun, Mexico in June of this year and I just noticed her passport expires at the end of August this year. Someone mentioned a 6 month rule for expiring passports. Does this apply for a flight to Mexico on Southwest? Thanks in advance. 

-FlyingRx

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Expiring Passport - 6 Month Rule

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@FlyingRX wrote:

Please Help!! My daugher is flying to Cancun, Mexico in June of this year and I just noticed her passport expires at the end of August this year. Someone mentioned a 6 month rule for expiring passports. Does this apply for a flight to Mexico on Southwest? Thanks in advance. 

-FlyingRx

Hola! Nope. The 6-month rule does not apply in Mexico.

I'm assuming the passport in question is an expiring US Passport for a visit to Mexico. Here is the link to the official Mexican rule:

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/ligavisos/15-informacion/182-visas-english

The Mexican government only requires that your passport is valid during the entirety of your trip. Please contact the airline(s) you will be flying on to ensure that they let you board the plane as the United States does have a six months validity rule for passports that may apply.

I'm not aware of any existing Southwest policy on this but as stated, there is no 6-month requirement for visiting Mexico either by air or land crossing beyond having a valid passport nor does the US State Department define such a 6-month rule either. Southwest would not be decider on this; the rule is based on the Mexico government and is published by the US State Department as documented here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Informa...

Quick Facts
PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Passport must be valid at time of entry

BLANK PASSPORT PAGES:

One page per stamp

Hope this helps.

Re: Expiring Passport - 6 Month Rule

05bardic
Adventurer C

The six month expiration rule is the case in many countries (most of Europe requires your passport to be valid for at least six months after entry), but the last I checked Mexico did not have such a requirement. I would encourage you to confirm that directly on their official website as travel requirements are often changing.