Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FLIGHT CANCELLED WHILE ON TARMAC

Christinky
Explorer C

Sorry for the capitals, but I am obviously livid. And this is happening live right now at 1:25am.
SFO - DEN, flight delayed for over 3 hours, then we’re sitting on the tarmac for over an hour, and while driving back to the gate, the pilot says there are too many flights coming in and out and our flight cannot leave and we have to rebook. We’re still on the plane, waiting for a spot at the gates to open!
They said they’ll rebook, but we don’t want to go anymore, as we have a baby and this is way too difficult on her/us. What are our options and can we be compensated for anything, as we prepaid for our hotel and car rental?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: FLIGHT CANCELLED WHILE ON TARMAC

bballflyer
Adventurer C

At a minimum you should be refunded for your tickets.  Here is a link to DOT to see if you have other options.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/airline-cancellation-delay-dashboard

Re: FLIGHT CANCELLED WHILE ON TARMAC

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Christinky wrote:

Sorry for the capitals, but I am obviously livid. And this is happening live right now at 1:25am.
SFO - DEN, flight delayed for over 3 hours, then we’re sitting on the tarmac for over an hour, and while driving back to the gate, the pilot says there are too many flights coming in and out and our flight cannot leave and we have to rebook. We’re still on the plane, waiting for a spot at the gates to open!
They said they’ll rebook, but we don’t want to go anymore, as we have a baby and this is way too difficult on her/us. What are our options and can we be compensated for anything, as we prepaid for our hotel and car rental?

When you get to talk to someone, or if you are automatically re-booked then you'll have to contact Southwest Contact Southwest Customer Service and let them know that you want to be refunded instead of rebooked, and if you are automatically rebooked let Southwest be the one to cancel it and refund, don't cancel it yourself if the only option is Travel Credit.

If you are starting from SFO consider trying OAK which has a lot of routes including to Denver with 5 or 6 non-stops per day.

SFO should still have 3-4 per day though - and if you are there at 2 a.m. now just take the 5 a.m. option first thing, obviously I'm reading this late but I hope you were able to get on that flight after all.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.