Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying with Bike Box

rapifer
Explorer C

I am traveling from Denver, CO to Portland, ME for a triathlon. I need to travel with my bike and have an Alan Bike Box (hard shell case). However, the combined dimensions of my bike box far exceed the limit of 80 inches that Southwest has. Southwest is the only airline that I cannot fly with this particular box. All other airlines have much more reasonable limits of 115 inches.

80 inches seems quite small, and I have a few other options for bike boxes, but none of them fit within this limit. Has anyone ever had any trouble flying with a bike box that is outside the limits? Mine will be around, and probably even under, 50 lbs total weight.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Flying with Bike Box

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There have been numerous comments in the past about the size limits for bikes.  Anything between 62" and 80" is considered oversized, anything over 80" will not be accepted.  I'd suggest you send your feedback directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message, then book with another airline.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

I hate to say this, but if Southwest does not meet your ravel needs, then you should fly an airline that does.

johnbisfunny
Explorer C

Did you have success in transporting your bike?

Thanks.

SY31
Explorer C

Curious if you were able to fly with your Bike Box Alan on SW? I am trying to do the same thing in a few months.