Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Free Same day standby for everyone

bec102896
Aviator A

Just in: soon you can standby on another southwest flight regardless of your fare class and Business Select customers will get free Wi-Fi! 

i’m curious for A List A List preferred customers what are your thoughts on this change since you could be on standby with a lot more people certain times of the year. Keep in mind it’s only standby where A list still gets same day confirmed.

A360D30E-25EC-412C-BFE9-A38C92539596.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Free Same day standby for everyone

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Further devaluing of A-list preferred status by making this perk available to every one. The free internet has been nice when it works, (about 50% of the time), as A-list preferred, but since the service is so inconsistent I can't depend on being able to work on any given flight. So I don't.

Of course the Companion Pass continues to be a great benefit. Wish my spouse could travel with me more but it just isn't practical.

I may need to really look at competing airlines like Delta's status matching Medalion deal after I get my CP this year for 2024. (I just looked at the match chart and A-list preferred only get's you Gold Medallion at Delta for 3 months.) Even Delta knows SWA isn't giving us much of anything for our loyalty.

Come on Southwest step it up and provide some perks to your loyal A-list Preferred Flyers.   just my 2 cents

bec102896
Aviator A

@parpitt1 @I Agree that this is a devaluation for A List 

here’s what I hope they will do to make it right for us allow our companions to have free same day confirmed changes kind of like they assign boarding together if we are booked on the same reservation. I get they could just buy WGA+ but that little savings would be nice 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@bec102896 wrote:

Just in: soon you can standby on another southwest flight regardless of your fare class and Business Select customers will get free Wi-Fi! 

i’m curious for A List A List preferred customers what are your thoughts on this change since you could be on standby with a lot more people certain times of the year. Keep in mind it’s only standby where A list still gets same day confirmed.

I'll weigh in as I usually book WGA+ (non A-List).

I think the Same-Day Standby policy change was necessary considering competing legacy carriers were doing the same. Since the benefit appears to be morphing into a standard feature across the airline industry, it makes sense in my opinion for Southwest to offer it too. Since Southwest generally does not like to upcharge for such "basics", I think this had to be done.

We should keep in mind two factors: Same-Day Standby List is different from Same-Day Flight Change (both currently included with A-List and WGA+ fares or higher). Of all the times that I've needed to use either of the Same-Day change benefits under WGA+, I have only needed to use Same-Day Flight Change; I have not needed to use the Same-Day Standby List benefit. It appears that non A-List'ers who purchase WGA fare will not get the Same-Day Flight Change benefit.

Regarding A-List, I don't think there's much to worry about because I assume A-List'ers will still retain their priority order on the Standby List based on fare, being placed only behind those who are re-accommodated due to flight disruptions and in front of everybody else. As for me who books WGA+, the policy states that non A-List WGA+ fare also remain ahead of WGA and behind A-List.

With all that being said, I think the A-List is long past due for much needed value upgrades. I would propose a number of add-ons to A-List so that this program too can better compete with the other carriers. 

Example suggested perks to add to A-List combined with all existing perks:

A-List:
Free Wi-Fi
Transferrable Flight Credit for WGA
Standand Plus Priority Pass Reimbursement (10 lounge visits per year)
100% TSA PreCheck or Global Entry enrollment Reimbursement
25% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement

A-List Preferred:

All A-List perks above plus

Premium Beverage
Prestige Priority Pass Reimbursement (unlimited visits)
Free Companion Upgrades to Business Select
Board after A30 if positioned at A31 or behind
100% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement

dfwskier
Aviator A

my guess is that the cost would be a bit rich for Southwest.

Standard plus added to Clear   would be over $500/year

I'm 1K on United and the best I can do is

1) Clear for free

2) An occasional upgrade to First

3) A drink and box food when I'm not upgraded

4) Free seat selection to anything outside of first.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

connections, both new both free?

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Where are the Southwest Lounges?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Where are the Southwest Lounges?

Now we're talking!

Please get one at MDW.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

I'll weigh in as I usually book WGA+ (non A-List).

I think the Same-Day Standby policy change was necessary considering competing legacy carriers were doing the same. Since the benefit appears to be morphing into a standard feature across the airline industry, it makes sense in my opinion for Southwest to offer it too. Since Southwest generally does not like to upcharge for such "basics", I think this had to be done.

We should keep in mind two factors: Same-Day Standby List is different from Same-Day Flight Change (both currently included with A-List and WGA+ fares or higher). Of all the times that I've needed to use either of the Same-Day change benefits under WGA+, I have only needed to use Same-Day Flight Change; I have not needed to use the Same-Day Standby List benefit. It appears that non A-List'ers who purchase WGA fare will not get the Same-Day Flight Change benefit.

Regarding A-List, I don't think there's much to worry about because I assume A-List'ers will still retain their priority order on the Standby List based on fare, being placed only behind those who are re-accommodated due to flight disruptions and in front of everybody else. As for me who books WGA+, the policy states that non A-List WGA+ fare also remain ahead of WGA and behind A-List.

With all that being said, I think the A-List is long past due for much needed value upgrades. I would propose a number of add-ons to A-List so that this program too can better compete with the other carriers. 

Example suggested perks to add to A-List combined with all existing perks:

A-List:
Free Wi-Fi
Transferrable Flight Credit for WGA
Standand Plus Priority Pass Reimbursement (10 lounge visits per year)
100% TSA PreCheck or Global Entry enrollment Reimbursement
25% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement

A-List Preferred:

All A-List perks above plus

Premium Beverage
Prestige Priority Pass Reimbursement (unlimited visits)
Free Companion Upgrades to Business Select
Board after A30 if positioned at A31 or behind
100% CLEAR enrollment Reimbursement

Agree with all of this!

--Jessica