Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Mobility scooter

VillareloDallas
Explorer C

I just purchased a mobility scooter that was advertised as airline friendly.  It uses 12V/12AH-2 batteries and folds up to pull like a suitcase.   The scooter is 20" wide, 33" long and 41" high when folded.  It weighs 88.18 pounds.  From what I have read online, I can ride it to the jetway and have SWA take it to the cargo hold for the trip.  I believe I could take it on the plane as well, but would need help lifting it to the overhead compartment, if allowed.

I have a connecting flight in BWI with a 2 1/2 hour layover so that would give us enough time to wait for the scooter in the waiting area of the arriving flight and take it to the next gate.

Is there anything I need to make the use of the scooter easy on all parties?  My flight departs next Monday from Dallas Love Field.  Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mobility scooter

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@VillareloDallas wrote:

I just purchased a mobility scooter that was advertised as airline friendly.  It uses 12V/12AH-2 batteries and folds up to pull like a suitcase.   The scooter is 20" wide, 33" long and 41" high when folded.  It weighs 88.18 pounds.  From what I have read online, I can ride it to the jetway and have SWA take it to the cargo hold for the trip.  I believe I could take it on the plane as well, but would need help lifting it to the overhead compartment, if allowed.

I have a connecting flight in BWI with a 2 1/2 hour layover so that would give us enough time to wait for the scooter in the waiting area of the arriving flight and take it to the next gate.

Is there anything I need to make the use of the scooter easy on all parties?  My flight departs next Monday from Dallas Love Field.  Thank you. 

Greetings:

Southwest has an official help page which should help:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/Battery-powered-wheelchairs-and-mobility-aids?clk...

The scooter's power supply will need to have a physical means of power disconnection to prevent unintentional activation of the device during flight.

Before you travel, I would go the link above, print and fill out the linked Mobility Aid Info Form. Also add a note to the Reservation that you will brining the scooter via the Manage Reservation page. Bring the completed form with you to the airport.

On travel day, I would arrive at least 2 hours prior to departure. Southwest also has a page published of what to expect and do when taking the scooter through the TSA Checkpoint:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/I-am-bringing-my-own-wheelchair-or-mobility-aid

Once you've cleared TSA and are airside, head to your gate and see the Customer Service Agent there to arrange to have your scooter transported. Present them with the Mobility Aid Info Form and let them know that you would like to retrieve your scooter at the jet bridge once you arrive at BWI for the layover and again at your final destination. They will also likely have you preboard too where you'll ride the scooter through the jet bridge with agents assisting you to your seat. 

Hope this helps.

Re: Mobility scooter

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I'm NO battery expert but if it's a lithium battery, the battery will need to removed and stowed in the cabin. The scooter rides with the bags below. Either way you will want to make sure you are thoroughly familiar with both disconnection, removal, and replacement of the batteries in your unit. Otherwise you'll be depending on some one else to perform this task and if it ends up broken....well good luck.

Safe Travels