Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

One flight, 3 passengers, multiple ways to pay

kirbyhg
Explorer C

I have 3 passengers to book on the same flight:  One paying with cash, one paying with points, and one paying with unused funds and points.  Can I do all of this on-line?  Do I need to separate the reservations?  Do I need a booking agent to assist?  Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: One flight, 3 passengers, multiple ways to pay

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The points reservation will be separate, it's a different starting point in the reservation system than the cash and cash equivalents option.

Cash and the flight credit coudl be combined, but the flight credit would only work for the person whose name is on it - it couldn't be used to cover parts of both tickets. I'm not sure if that restriction would force you into splitting the transactions.

However, points and cash equivalent can't be combined, so the third person will need to find a new strategy for the balance of their ticket. If the priority is to use the flight credit before it expires, then that person should pay cash for the balance. 

If the priority is to use points, then the third flyer would need to determine if it was worth it to buy points (usually only in small quantities) and save the flight credit. If the points were expiring soon - good news, using cash to buy the rest of the ticket with the flight credit will extend them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

One reply to my reply - was each person bringing their own points, or was one person providing all of the points?

Having separate points accounts would also require separate transactions, even for purchasing two tickets all with points.

kirbyhg
Explorer C

The two using points are using their own points.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kirbyhgwrote:

The two using points are using their own points.

Then they would have to be separate transactions for each person to be logged into their own accounts.

In order to combine for one reservation, the points would have to be transferred all to one account, which isn't free.