Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Oversized lightweight item for checking/fee

RSMBob
Explorer C

My daughter is flying LGB to Chicago next week and wants to take a slightly oversized item that has sentimental family value but nowhere near worth the $75 oversize charge. It is a wicker item so it is VERY light but it fits in a box 34x26x13 and I think the is over the limit. Since it is so light, is there any way to bypass the $75 oversize charge? Appreciate any info/advice.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Oversized lightweight item for checking/fee

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RSMBob wrote:

My daughter is flying LGB to Chicago next week and wants to take a slightly oversized item that has sentimental family value but nowhere near worth the $75 oversize charge. It is a wicker item so it is VERY light but it fits in a box 34x26x13 and I think the is over the limit. Since it is so light, is there any way to bypass the $75 oversize charge? Appreciate any info/advice.

It is possible that they won't measure it. The 62" thing requiring measurement of several sides I don't know if they would do this unless it was obviously oversized. 

Otherwise no, there are separate criteria for oversize and overweight so I don't believe any exception would apply other than the agent checking it in going "oh it is so light, tee-hee" and not bothering which could happen. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.